• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Folders in K9 Email

johnb265

Lurker
Apr 2, 2011
UK
I'm trying K9 email client on my Android phone connecting to pop3 server. I cannot find how to add folders and rules to direct the email to the different folders. Thunderbird on my PC in Windows or Linux can do it with pop3 email. Is it an Android limitation or am I missing something?

John

Hmm, if you setup your account properly, then go into your account in K-9 so you see all your emails. Then hit the menu button -> folder list. Then in that screen you can hit menu -> create new folder and such. Then if you go back to your inbox, and you long press on an email, you have the option to archive, delete, move, send, forward, etc. So then you just click move, and it'll let you move the emails.

Edit:: I just reread your post. I don't think it allows for automatic sorting. Technically if you set up automatic sorting on your hotmail account online, it'll sync to that folder in K-9. So for instance, if you get a mail on your hotmail account and it goes to your inbox, k-9 will show it in the inbox, but if you set up a rule to automatically move this mail to your "other" folder on your hotmail account, then in k-9 it should show up in that folder and not the inbox.

I think, haven't tested, but makes sense to me.

Upvote 0
To follow up on this, when I use k9 on my phone, I am only interested in the inbox emails that are on my server. Not the other folders I have set up. Is there anything I need to configure or will it only look for the server's inbox folder? Thanks

K9 limitation, you have to use a web mail client like round cube via android chrome browser to create the folders.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones