1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Follies of trying to buy off-contract...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KupKrazy, Feb 13, 2011.

1. KupKrazy

KupKrazy Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    Male
    The Big Apple
    I wanted to pick up an Inspire 4G off-contract since I am not eligible for an upgrade until this summer (which I don't mind in case I end up wanting an Atrix or something else to add to my collection) - but really I've been met with so much frustration today. Are people having an easy time buying it off-contract?

Tried ATT - acted really reluctant to sell it off-contract but finally she was about to do it, and then found out from the back of the store that they only had 2 which were already spoke for. (I think that was a load of crap.)

Went to Radio Shack. They had a bunch of them, but the guy didn't want to sell it to me off-contract even at the higher price of 449. He tried vigorously to talk me into getting a 5th line (i have 4 lines) and then cancelling my existing line when the contract was over in order to get it for $99. I told him why would I do that - I would lose my unlimited data plan and really I don't want to do that - just sell me the phone! Well, ok, he finally was going to ring me up but now he required me to buy some accessories. Ok, right - NEXT.

Went to Best Buy... Why is their no-contract price 599?!?!

I gave up. I didn't go to Costco which is also in the area but this is frustrating. Places appear seemingly unwilling to sell at the non-contract price. I might just try to do it online or try one more ATT store near by job tomorrow I guess.

Frustrating - I had it in my hand, played with it and saw a bunch of them but I couldn't take one home. Oh, well. It's my regular Desire for a little bit longer then.

Advertisement

pixar likes this.
  2. Chew

Chew Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    South of Titletown
    Do you have any more Radio Shacks? I didn't have any problem with the off-contract part.

3. KupKrazy

None

Jun 26, 2010
    Male
    The Big Apple
    Unfortunately that is the only one in the area. Yes, the person I dealt with almost makes me want to file a complaint, too! Ah, well.. Probably my luck of the draw 'cos I keep reading people here having no issue getting it!

4. antioch216

antioch216 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 4, 2011
    well, BB price matches, so you try there again. trust me, i work there

5. sarstube

sarstube Member
    None

Feb 8, 2011
    Yup i had a $100 in gift cards so I went to bb told them about atts price. He looked it up on the internet and sold it. Not to mention you get the buy back program for free and theres no return restocking fee. I was the only person even interested in the inspire.

6. striketrue

striketrue Member
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    I was not eligible for an upgrade as I am only a year into my 2-year contract. I called at&t today and was very very polite, but for the most part I played stupid. I told them I had been reading about this 'inspire' phone and I wanted to know what I had to do to get it. They told me I would end up having to pay $399 because I am not eligible yet. I acted shocked, but very politely stated that I have 3 smartphone lines totalling over $200 a month, and my bill is always paid on time. And for these reasons, I didn't think I should have to pay more than 100 or 200 for a phone. Long story short she gave me the Inspire for $99 (renewed contract)! I should have it by the end of the week

7. bella92108

bella92108 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2010
    Lots of people having this issue, including myself. Ended up getting from RadioShack. The quickest way is to ask for their District Manager #, which in many cases is posted at the register. In most cases they'll just agree to do it right there.

It's so shady that places hoard phones saying "we're holding these new 4G phones for new customers" ... as if there's any reality behind the term 4G, lol.

Sad state AT&T is in right now... but oh well... just gotta keep trying. RadioShack is the best sure-thing...

Or if you're not in a hurry, Amazon will do $479 no tax\free shipping, which in many states like CA is about as good as it gets :) just have to wait 2 days for shipping.

8. harlenm

harlenm Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 18, 2010
    I am just gonna pay $400 for it, that way if something new comes out during the summer, I'll still have my upgrade and can get another phone.

9. KupKrazy

None

Jun 26, 2010
    Male
    The Big Apple
    Thanks for all the great ideas - which I was going to go and do (price match at BB) but I decided to go to the ATT corp store near my job and lo and behold, they sold it to me without issue and was actually quite helpful. It took about 4 employees to try to figure out how to open up the enclosure to insert the sim card in there. LOL - I didn't get a new SIM card, though. Looks like they just used my existing one.

10. MassacrMan

MassacrMan Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 31, 2010
    You can actually get an early upgrade from AT&T for a much lower price, I was only 6 months into my contract with my old Captivate and the manager still gave me an early upgrade and the Inspire at only $179.

Try that at a different AT&T store, good luck.