• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Following the update, my phone got worse, laggy, etc

I keep reading about how a lot of peoples' phones are so much better after the update. My phone was perfectly fine (got it about a month ago), but after it updated about a week ago, it's awful. Locks up, random reboots, animation on games is choppy, navigating between home screens is laggy and "sticks". I am in a 4g area, but there are times when phone service cuts out completely for up to 15 minutes at a time. I did not have any of these issues before. Am I the only one? Any ideas what I can do? :thinking:

Mine has had 4 random reboots after the update, compared to my zero before hand.
My phone was at 5% today, from 7:45am-12:30pm that was all. No new apps (I keep it pretty clean) nothing significant changed.

And the funny part is it has been set to CDMA only for the past two days...and I am in a 4G area. The reason I did that is because my spare charger hasn't been with me at work, so I was trying to conserve battery...but I didn't even get more than 5 hours out of it.

Who knows...

Upvote 0
I thought I was the only one having these problems or I was just seeing things. My phone is so freakin slow now. It has been stuck more than once and I live in a strong 4g LTE city (Houston) and my phone gets stuck in 3g now. I had very few random reboots but yesterday I couldn't get my battery from going down and the internet was turned OFF and I was barely using it. It took 6 hours to charge it at work, starting at 50% full. (thank goodness I have an inside desk job).

I guess I'm stuck now with this phone. I've had this phone since day one and now I don't know what to say anymore.

Upvote 0
Do a factory reset. Put all your apps on probation and install them one at a time after the reset to see if one of them is the culprit. If you've been using one of those battery saver apps, remove it and make it the last thing you install after testing the rest. Actually, if you are using one of those apps, I'd remove that prior to the factory reset to see if you can avoid the pain of reinstalling everything else. This is not normal behavior for this update.

I believe your bad experience is a very small minority of total users--there would be much more vocal behavior on this forum if it wasn't--and anyway, I'm very unlucky when it comes to this stuff and I always get the botched installs. Only time I had serious trouble with my TBolt was when I installed some Green app that claimed to save power...had data losses left and right that required reboots to fix.

Reactions: dknees
Upvote 0
I have very few apps, and no battery saver ones at all. I had toyed with the idea of rooting (but now am leaning against it, since the more I research the dumber I feel) which is why there are only a few things on the phone now.

I will take everything off, and do a factory reset. Murphy's Law generally applies to me, so I'm not shocked that I'm one of the only ones having a problem :(

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Puppa is right, it sounds like you got the update and thanks to VZW being about to push out the OTA without clearing your data/cache/dalvik cache the update didn't sit right with your phone for some reason. There is a reason why when people flash roms they wipe their phone clean before installing a new/updated version of the OS on top of it, otherwise it can cause issues like you described and sometimes even worse.

Upvote 0
I have seriously considered rooting. I have been reading, watching the youtube videos, etc. I just don't think time is on my side, for me to be able to do all the research I need to and be comfortable with it. I really don't have much data to lose, so that's not an issue and I stink at angry birds, so losing that game progress isn't going to hurt much :). I have thought about finding someone local to do it for me, that might just be my best option for now.

thanks for all your help, I'll be doing SOMETHING this weekend, whether it's a factory reset or rooting.

Upvote 0
If you can't find someone local the internet is always local, I've helped people root over these forums. XDA has an IRC channel just for the bolt. It really isn't that hard the setup is the most difficult part, once it is done it is copy/paste repeat wait (for a while) copy/paste repeat wait (for a while)...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones