• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Font characters not showing up when typing

Nick.Doyle09

Mar 12, 2011
I gave my brother my old Incredible that was rooted, running CM7 with CWM installed, and running ADW.Launcher. Long before I gave him the DINC I had taken out the SD card and put it in my new S4--which I had forgotten about when I sent it to him.

Now, he can turn the phone on and it boots fine. However, he went to log into his gmail account to sync with his phone but the "@" symbol isn't working--it just doesn't show up. He tried copying and pasting from the internet but it still doesn't work. It's just looking like spaces when the character is typed. He can send me a text message with the symbol and I can receive them just fine.

I vaguely remember installing a custom font when the phone was mine and I was playing around with it. I think the phone may be looking for that font file and not finding it because it exists on an SD card that is not mounted to the DINC. I could be wrong about this though.

We can't install an app to reset or change the system font because we can't log into his Play account. We also cannot perform a backup in CWM because the backups are on the SD card. He also does not have a spare SD card to plug into the phone.

Is there some way to fix all of this? I performed a factory reset on the phone before sending it to him so I don't understand why it's not working.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones