• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root font color

doofus- where, on the phone, are the default character sets stored? I am guessing somewhere in /system..?

ard- is this something ninjamorph app could edit or change?

...I wonder, if both these options would work.....which path would be the easiest to change the font color? (I am thinking a light blue font on my EVO would look pretty sweet) :)

Upvote 0
Fonts are stored in /system/fonts as ttf files. You can't just change the color. You have to tell the system to display that font as a specific color in whatever "area" it is that normally displays fonts. For example, you can change stuff in the taskbar by editing some files in framework-res.apk, or, if I'm not mistaken, anything related to the clock (font color) would be in services.jar. Alas, you're getting a little outside my knowledge of how specifically to change that, but it certainly is not as simple as just editing the fonts. Changing the particular font is easy, as you know. All that is doing is replacing the existing ttf files with whatever font you want, and keeping the original name of the file so that the system knows where to look for it.

Reactions: ardchoille
Upvote 0
Fonts are stored in /system/fonts as ttf files. You can't just change the color. You have to tell the system to display that font as a specific color in whatever "area" it is that normally displays fonts. For example, you can change stuff in the taskbar by editing some files in framework-res.apk, or, if I'm not mistaken, anything related to the clock (font color) would be in services.jar. Alas, you're getting a little outside my knowledge of how specifically to change that, but it certainly is not as simple as just editing the fonts. Changing the particular font is easy, as you know. All that is doing is replacing the existing ttf files with whatever font you want, and keeping the original name of the file so that the system knows where to look for it.

Agreed i have never edited the colors of fonts though i have edited other background colors and things. You are on the right track is basically what we are saying. You'll need to edit the associated xml but it will only edit the font color in that area, you'll need to find all of them :). They are in framework res so keep digging around and let us know when you find it :D

Upvote 0
so, theoretically, what if I were to go into /system/fonts, and delete the ttf files that are in there. (copy them to my cpu prior to deletion). then copy over new ttf files (fonts with the color I choose) in their place, having the same name as the ones I deleted.
So the ttf files would be in the same location and have the same name as the deleted default ttf files.
If I were to do this and save it and reboot, would it pull those new ttf files that I installed in place of the old ones, as the new default system fonts?
..same location, same name..just different color when opened.

...or would this not work at all? :(

..thanks!

Upvote 0
so, theoretically, what if I were to go into /system/fonts, and delete the ttf files that are in there. (copy them to my cpu prior to deletion). then copy over new ttf files (fonts with the color I choose) in their place, having the same name as the ones I deleted.
So the ttf files would be in the same location and have the same name as the deleted default ttf files.
If I were to do this and save it and reboot, would it pull those new ttf files that I installed in place of the old ones, as the new default system fonts?
..same location, same name..just different color when opened.

...or would this not work at all? :(

..thanks!

Interesting question, yes that is one way yo change the fonts is to replace it with a ttf of the same name. Never suggest it that way because font changer app is soo much easier. You will also need the bold versions and the clockopia blah blah, just saying dont miss one.

What i dont know is if a .ttf can contain color information...never seen it? Also the xml in services jar tells it to make a font a certain color, white on black, black on white, what happens when your font is red and services tells it to go white? well it will go white...you may get your color in some places...I dunno i can only suggest making a back up and tryring but yes you can change the fonts in system/font that way. Droid-sans droid-sans-bold and clockopia are the 3 i believe you'll want to change.

Reactions: RunVert
Upvote 0
Interesting question, yes that is one way yo change the fonts is to replace it with a ttf of the same name. Never suggest it that way because font changer app is soo much easier. You will also need the bold versions and the clockopia blah blah, just saying dont miss one.

What i dont know is if a .ttf can contain color information...never seen it? Also the xml in services jar tells it to make a font a certain color, white on black, black on white, what happens when your font is red and services tells it to go white? well it will go white...you may get your color in some places...I dunno i can only suggest making a back up and tryring but yes you can change the fonts in system/font that way. Droid-sans droid-sans-bold and clockopia are the 3 i believe you'll want to change.

Yes, those are the three. When you replace a font, it just uses a different file, but keeps that name, as that's what the system looks for. As for changing colors, I believe you are correct - it's the xml (and I think there are a few regular text files) that tell it what color to display. If nothing else, I would assume changing the actual ttf color (not sure that's even possible) would cause problems. I could be wrong. Editing ttf files isn't something I know too much about :).

Reactions: RunVert
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones