• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Food For thought....quad cores and LTE

floorguy

May 31, 2011
Northern Utah
So I was in the sprint store today, and was chatting with the MGR there (he is in the state legislator so has been gone, and i was giving him a hard time:D:D:D:D)

Anyway, we go back a long time, he is the employee who signed me up on sprint some 10 yrs ago...

We were chatting about phones coming out, and I brought up how ripped off i felt that the HTC cut back to a dual core instead of the quad core..

He stated it was due to the quads not playing nice with LTE radios...

interesting.....I am sure they (the techs) will figure out how to fix this, and get us on our merry way to the lad of quads.....

If someone else knew this please chime in

So I was in the sprint store today, and was chatting with the MGR there (he is in the state legislator so has been gone, and i was giving him a hard time:D:D:D:D)

Anyway, we go back a long time, he is the employee who signed me up on sprint some 10 yrs ago...

We were chatting about phones coming out, and I brought up how ripped off i felt that the HTC cut back to a dual core instead of the quad core..

He stated it was due to the quads not playing nice with LTE radios...

interesting.....I am sure they (the techs) will figure out how to fix this, and get us on our merry way to the lad of quads.....

If someone else knew this please chime in

The tegra 3 is supposedly incompatable with LTE radios, if you take a look at the HTC one x. The One X uses the Tegra 3 overseas (where LTE isn't big), but in the USA all LTE equipped One X derived phones are not Tegra 3 devices (including sprint's EVO 4g LTE)

I remember that they said the Tegra 2 was incompatible with 4g at all, but we have the photon. I just think Nvidia just hasn't optimized the tegra 3 for LTE. All of the LTE networks work on different bands, so I can't see how it could interfer with both 700 (upper and lower bands), 800, and 1900.

Upvote 0
The tegra 3 is supposedly incompatable with LTE radios, if you take a look at the HTC one x. The One X uses the Tegra 3 overseas (where LTE isn't big), but in the USA all LTE equipped One X derived phones are not Tegra 3 devices (including sprint's EVO 4g LTE)

I remember that they said the Tegra 2 was incompatible with 4g at all, but we have the photon. I just think Nvidia just hasn't optimized the tegra 3 for LTE. All of the LTE networks work on different bands, so I can't see how it could interfer with both 700 (upper and lower bands), 800, and 1900.

The Tegras are not incompatible with LTE radios. They don't integrate the radios like the S4 does (yet) which makes a device with the Tegra 3 SoC and the separate 2G/3G/4G radios more expensive to build and maintenance (OS updates) trickier. The battery life also suffers a bit compared to an integrated solution and the main board is bigger.

nVidia bought Icera last year and they'll be integrating the Icera softmodem into future Tegras in order to better compete at the phone level (which will actually make the Tegra very versatile). They couldn't get Icera tech integrated fast enough for Tegra 3 (since the Tegra 3 was already sampling before they bought Icera).

The S4 has fewer faster CPU cores and integrated radios but a slower GPU. The Tegra 3 is a better non-phone solution which is more power efficient in a wifi-only loadout. Hardcore mobile gamers aside, most users won't notice a difference.

Bottom line: It's business, not a hardware limitation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones