1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Foolish to get S4 now or wait for S5?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Markus729, Mar 3, 2014.

1. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Android Expert

The G2 doesn't have an sd card slot, so no problems with the kitkat update on that front

Advertisement

2. speedlever

speedlever Android Enthusiast

Oh, so it's like the HTC One and the iPhone in that regard. Bummer.

Kills it on the spot for me.

3. lotus49

lotus49 Android Expert

I replace my battery every couple of days, not because there is anything wrong with it but because it runs out and I carry a spare.

Having a replaceable battery is a very useful feature and was one of the key selling points of the S4 for me.

4. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

What phone besides the HTC One currently offers it?

Personally I think hardware features are important, because if your phone doesn't have them and you find a use for them later, that means a new phone or doing without.

But I will say I was disappointed with the IR in both the S4 and HTC One. It apparently isn't the same as that in the old Palm devices, but instead more transmit only.

5. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

Well first, that's likely because of the rate of change in technology. Phones became technologically obsolete after a year. That's changing.

But second, don't assume your use is the same as everyone else's use. Some people need to carry a spare because they aren't always near a charging source. Some people like to install an optional larger battery.

6. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

Samsung has announced that they will upgrade the S3 to KitKat, so you don't need to worry that the S4 will be orphaned in a year. It will, however, likely be orphaned a year before the S5! I'm not sure that alone is worth the extra money, but again, that depends on what money is worth to you.

And FWIW, a year ago I was doing these same calculations with the S3 and S4, and went with the S4 even though I had to buy two.

7. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

I for one, don't like a sealed phone. Being able to replace the battery in the S4, was one of the must have features for me. I have another stock battery that I keep fully charged just in case. (I've only had to use it a few times.) I switch between the batteries every weekend. (To keep them fresh.) Also, I'd rather replace a defective battery, then the entire phone, when it starts to go bad. (Can't do that with a sealed phone.)

8. Funderbolt

Funderbolt Well-Known Member

Since the OP is with Verizon, a 32GB S4 is a moot point since they don't sell it. They sell the 16GB version. Also that phone will only support up to a 64GB sd card. Right now it's $100 with 2 yr contract.

:smokingsomb:

9. kknickelson

kknickelson Lurker

I had the S4 and had an upgrade coming up. Didn't know if I wanted the Note 3 or wait for the S5. I bought a Note 3 from a private party like new. This way I can check it out without using my upgrade. If I don't like it will most likely do the S5 upgrade when available. (I've had 4 different phones in 10 months) Really like the Samsung's.

Always meet at your provider and have them check the phone before purchase.

K

StaggerLee likes this.
  10. y2kgtp

y2kgtp Member

You can get a 32GB S4 for Verizon wireless. I bought my S4 via Staples Mobile online for $99, my Wife's phone came from Amazon for $149 back in October both for 2 year contract renewals. At the time, Verizon wanted $199 + tax + $30 upgrade fee per phone in the store or on their site.

These companies are supplied by WireFly, so one thing you must keep in mind - If you decide to cancel the service contract for whatever reason (aka jump to T-Mobile) they will charge you a $400 fee if you do so under 181 days (about 6 months)...it's in the fine print.

Verizon never charged me a $30 upgrade fee on either line as well, not sure why not as it stated they would when I was in the check-out process....but who am I to argue saving $60?

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galax...TF8&qid=1394206599&sr=8-3&keywords=verizon+s4

Dell Mobility Store

Staples Wireless Superstore | Top Android Smartphones & More