• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For Adoptable storage Fast random WRITE speed or fast random READ average good speed values?

kumaranil13k

Jan 10, 2020
For Adoptable storage Fast random WRITE speed or fast random READ average good speed values?

To move and use apps on its microSD Card (using microsd card as adaptable storage as internal memory) in android 6.0 marshmallow formatting SD as internal my droid suggests I use a "fast" SD card.

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/sd-memory-card-faq/fastest-memory-card/
Ranks SD Cards by WRITE Speed and READ Speed. Interestingly, the same chips seldom appear in both lists. If I want to use my SD Card to store and run apps, is fast random WRITE speed or is fast random READ speed the most important quality to look for. As in many card random read speed is 230mbps and random write speed is 3 or 5 mobs there are some cards in which both random read write speed is 90mbps 100mbps Approx. So what's the internal storage random read write speed standard average value as apps read more than write.

In android perspective using SD card as adaptable internal storage what is The important thing for best performance in micro sd card must be high IOPS, high 4k read/write values an average value the apps use to read and write on micro sd card .

But what is queue depth (QD) 1..32? For example random read 4k-QD1, random read 4k-QD32, random write 4k-QD1, random read 4k-QD32... Which values of QD are important for android adoptable storage.

I just found another old benchmark link

to find hdparm dd Linux benchmarking but its with old model 16gb 32 GB cards

https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2019/raspberry-pi-microsd-card-performance-comparison-2019

I am planning for 128 GB UHS II v30 a2 cards do any can share any benchmark results for new microsd card for android adoptable app perspective for cards

Is there any command or benchmark app in android through which we can benchmark or test the internal memory storage speed and match same or higher value random read and write speed external microsd card speed for making it compatible matching speed of internal memory. Kindly share the apps I founded androbench, SD speed test but both test external SD card not internal

I'd think (Just an opinion) that read speeds would be more important for your use case. Are you doing this just to see how adoptable storage behaves?
Unless your phone has limited storage (32GB or less), I don't think adoptable storage is a good idea. The main reasons being:
The card is encrypted with a key unique to your device, and if you do a Factory Data Reset a new key is generated rendering whatever is on the card unreadable (So make sure you back up all data regularly to an external storage medium). Also, SD cards have a limited lifetime and even good brand-name ones have a limited life. SD cards are intended for data storage, not for rapid, frequent read/write cycles, which is what happens with the phone's internal storage, which is much more durable in terms of R/W cycles.

Upvote 0
@Davdi bro thanks for your precious time advice opinion and sharing your know grateful and thankful to you a lot bro.

Are you doing this just to see how adoptable storage behaves?
Unless your phone has limited storage (32GB or less), I don't think adoptable storage is a good idea. The main reasons being:.

@Davdi bro first to inform I have 3 old mobile one has 8 gb internal memory(6gb occupied by system apps and os only 3 gb free for videos games and user apps) other have 16 gb internal memory ( 11-12gb occupied with andorid os and system apps and 4-5 gb free for user apps videos pics data cache). Now I want to test many (200-300) apps for each category to find best usable and remove junk and then will install selected movable apps in new mobile with more internal memory. Don't want to put garbage not performing apps on new mobiles with 64 gb or 128gb internal memory.

The card is encrypted with a key unique to your device, and if you do a Factory Data Reset a new key is generated rendering whatever is on the card unreadable (So make sure you back up all data regularly to an external storage medium). Also, SD cards have a limited lifetime and even good brand-name ones have a limited life. SD cards are intended for data storage, not for rapid, frequent read/write cycles, which is what happens with the phone's internal storage, which is much more durable in terms of R/W cycles.

@Davdi bro thanks a lot for knowledge yea I am trying to create NAND image of sdcard and even individual file backup on computer hard disk pendrive and cloud. But as you added and told about new key after factory reset then now I am thinking will be the nand image clone backup of the external micro sd card will work as new encryption key allocated on every factory reset. Any solution with you for image clone backup of external sd card.

Also, SD cards have a limited lifetime and even good brand-name ones have a limited life. SD cards are intended for data storage, not for rapid, frequent read/write cycles, which is what happens with the phone's internal storage, which is much more durable in terms of R/W cycles.

@Davdi bro I am trying to purchase SanDisk extreme pro 128gb micro sd card which have marching random read and write speed of internal memory as old mobiles internal memory speed is less so it will match nearby values with external UHS II A1/A2 micro sd cards and SanDisk giving lifitime warranty I hope it may be 5 to 10 years phone may survive or technology may change in 10 years time. Secondly I will keep less usable apps on external sd and frequent usable apps on internal memory and may be some unistalled modified apks in external sd whenever needed will install from the same.

I'd think (Just an opinion) that read speeds would be more important for your use case.

@Davdi bro back to original question that which speed matters if u can suggest random read write I knew but confused in random read 4kb qd1 or random read 4kb qd2 or to concern the with pharm or sd write speed of raspeberyy device for approx ideas

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones