• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For all your trackball problems

Hey guys,

iv noticed a few of you are having bad luck with the trackball only working is certain directions, i work in a phone shop and fix these problems everyday,mostly blackberry,but this is the same problem, the trackball will gather dirt,that you wont notice untill your trackball stops working,so to fix this, get a cloth and use any type of foam(small amount) and dab it on the trackball, then use the trackball in 1 direction for about 30 seconds, then the other direction,etc,etc, you clean the trackball, and it will work again and be much smoother,like i say i do this everyday,

Hope this helps you guys out!!:)

Although I have had no problems with my trackball was beginning to worry reading about everybody else having these issues so thanks Newsradio2261 very much for this great piece of advise. Think I will give mine a clean anyway to stop this from happening. What kind of foam do you mean or will soap work? Just dont want to clogg it up. Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
Great advice! I also work on phones for a living, and I found that in a pinch, if you rub the trackball on a piece of paper, it can help clean it out. Just put a piece of white paper on a table, and run the trackball across it in straight lines. You'll even see the paper get dirty as it takes all your finger oil and grease off. Yuck!

Upvote 0
I think there's two issues here. Agree with the dirt build up, but there also seems to be a pattern with auto scrolling to the right. My Hero is less than 5 weeks old. It has a brand new MOdaco image on it and has been used infrequently.

Just yesterday the home page started to scroll all by itself to the right. I checked other menus to see if it would move by itself across to the right but it didnt. Maybe this is a software thing rather than dirt build up. It might even be a hardware design fault. for me it cant be dirt.

Just prior to this I had loaded on (and watched) a few videos and the Snake game.

Comments?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice. My trackball would only move up, down and right but never left which made correcting texts a huge problem. I didn't have any cleaning foam but I did have some 'Simple' make-up remover wipes. I turned the phone off, put the make-up remover over the top, pressed the trackball down with my finger and forced it to the left, then right then up and down. I did this for a minute or so and TA DAAA! my trackball works perfectly!

I'm sure other make-up removers will work too. I guess the secret is that they remove dirt and grease on the face so remove dirt and grease from a trackball too!

Upvote 0
Well this looked like an interesting thread so I checked it out but Newsradio2261 original comments and advice at the top of this thread are missing????? Could someone reiterate his advice on how to service the trackball. I don't have any problems yet but my once white track ball is now a black. Would love to know how to fix it when the time comes............

Merry Christmas.

Lisa

Upvote 0
Well this looked like an interesting thread so I checked it out but Newsradio2261 original comments and advice at the top of this thread are missing????? Could someone reiterate his advice on how to service the trackball. I don't have any problems yet but my once white track ball is now a black. Would love to know how to fix it when the time comes............

Merry Christmas.

Lisa

I don't know why he was banned, but I guess he decided to try and take his posts with him on his way out.

I've put it back to the original post for you :)

Upvote 0
Thanks XYRO. After I posted my comment I went back to see if it was just my computer at the time I was viewing it and I would try to see it again. It was at that time I realized that he was "Banned" and I had never seen that before and I was guessing his comments were taken down too. But thank you for putting them back up. I'm going to try this just to get the ball white again.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas.............

Lisa

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones