• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For anyone on 3 Network (UK)

funkylogik

share the love peeps ;)
Sep 15, 2011
Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
Anyone worried about tethering, im on the

Attachments

• 1362490770580.jpg
    1362490770580.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 393
I'm on 3 but I've got the One Plan, so I'm "allowed" to tether. But judging by your data usage, maybe I shouldn't have bothered paying the extra ;)

From what I've heard, I wouldn't be "worried" about 3, because if they do anything it will be simply blocking your tethered web use. I'm surprised you've been able to tether. I thought it blocked it automatically - that's what I have heard, anyway. If they do block it I think you will still be able to use the internet on your phone.

You seem to be doing all right though.

Upvote 0
Yeah to be fair, i had to change APN settings and im not sure if im allowed to say what to set them to on here lol but a google search should find it n its as simple as one line lol :)
Id heard that they "throttle" your bandwidth if you tether but customer care said "we dont have that capeability but DONT DO IT" lol

Upvote 0
I'm on the One Plan too, have been for 2 years and don't think I'll ever change.

I'm on pay as you go 3uk and am using the default apn and have no problem with tethering. Honestly I just assumed that since it worked without a tethering plan, 3 didn't do tethering plans.

I think it was possibly grandfathered in, so if you've had your SIM for a while then the tethering is bundled in. Someone I know has a PAYG 3 sim and they have to pay

Upvote 0
I'm on pay as you go 3uk and am using the default apn and have no problem with tethering. Honestly I just assumed that since it worked without a tethering plan, 3 didn't do tethering plans.

Yup i tried the normal Apn last night n it works now :)
It used to take me to a block screen on the laptop.
Can you search for "xxxx.apk", or torrent sites on your phone with the normal Apn? They used to block that too

Upvote 0
I think they can all detect when you are tethering, but there are ways around avoiding tether detection, probably against the rules here so google it yerselves ;)

They all seem to have their own ways of controlling traffic too. I ditched giffgaff (o2) because to my surprise, their data network seemed slow, surprising as I always thought of o2 as being strong. Taking YouTube as example, o2 would be slow / buffering (data throttling?) whereas 3 the streams seem to be 'queued' ie: start is delayed for a second or two but after that the content plays very well throughout.

I also experienced the slowness / throttling on EE, add to that, EE would send me snotty texts threatening me about my data use. I wouldn't mind, but this was just from watching a couple of YT clips on the bus home from work :thinking:. I was previously on T-mo (EE) for well over a decade but when they started threatening me (when I was on "unlimited" monthly data add-on) I jogged them on. They may well be the new 'big thing' for 4g & that, but as a company, they suck. I would rather be with a company that specializes in 3g (3) for internet, sure they're touted as not having the best signal but for me it far exceeds my expectations.

Giffgaff seems to be the network for kids or the unemployed, lol :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones