• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

for best gps location

In the options, for best location, you should have all 3 checked (use wireless networks, use gps satellites, enable assisted gps). Is that what you mean??

Make sure to turn those off while not using them as they are killer on your battery.
No, not at all true. No need to turn off. They only use up battery when a program is trying to get a location lock.

Upvote 0
No, not at all true. No need to turn off. They only use up battery when a program is trying to get a location lock.

I've found better battery life with them all OFF.

I am going to do some more testing this week. One day I'll leave them off and the next on. I'll do it on a work day because my usage of the phone on a daily basis is virtually the same.

Can someone give a more detail explanation about the three check options for people who are curious?

Upvote 0
Ive noticed a change in my battery life as well.

Basically, the three options are how much you want your phone to search for your location. The first one (use wireless networks) finds your location by what towers you are hitting off of. This is good if it only matters what town you are in for what you use (such as weather, camera, google, etc). The next option (Use GPS satellites) will use GPS as well as network to pin point your location. You will at least have to turn this on if you want directions from a program such as google maps. THe third, to be honest, Im not quite sure what it adds. I guess if signal is low, it can be used to better pinpoint your location but I have had good results with just the first two checked. I do check the third one though if I am trying to get directions from my present location to a certain address but usually I keep it off.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
Ive noticed a change in my battery life as well.

Basically, the three options are how much you want your phone to search for your location. The first one (use wireless networks) finds your location by what towers you are hitting off of. This is good if it only matters what town you are in for what you use (such as weather, camera, google, etc). The next option (Use GPS satellites) will use GPS as well as network to pin point your location. You will at least have to turn this on if you want directions from a program such as google maps. THe third, to be honest, Im not quite sure what it adds. I guess if signal is low, it can be used to better pinpoint your location but I have had good results with just the first two checked. I do check the third one though if I am trying to get directions from my present location to a certain address but usually I keep it off.

Hope that helps.

I heard the first option was a major battery drain.

Thanks for your input! I'm trying to run all three and see what happens. I've been on my phone a lot today checking fantasy stuff while watching football and I'm at 60% now. I was at 100% at Noon when I took it off the charger and turned on all 3 options of GPS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones