• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For DEV's (Bootloader)

Just tried it and I get the following:

Bootloader
2C.5C

Battery OK
OK to Program
Transfer Mode:
USB
Then I get a failure on the Windows machine to load drivers for SE Flash OMAP3430 MI:

DROID bootloader.PNG

Also running Windows 7 - Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, to be exact.

Upvote 0
More specifically for that OMAP3430 device. When the OS has loaded normally, plugging the USB cable into the DROID loads a couple of drivers for the device in W7 perfectly fine - so my bet is that the OS is performing some sort of emulation for a generic Mass Storage device (which is why W7 is able to load it in an instant, without having to search online for drivers).

Ahhh, well. I know there are plenty of folks out there that have strong hardware skills - they'll be able to figure this out sometime soon.

In the meantime, I think I ma going to stop playing with apps for a while and start playing with the SDK I downloaded....

Upvote 0
I was gonna test the D-pad but when I shut the phone off it restarted on its own.....

makes me wonder if an update had been passed to the phone....

Anyhoo, I downloaded the USB drivers before from Moto's website, but I am on Windows 7. I can easily install another *nix in VBox, or else load up a LiveDVD, but if you weren't able to get it to recognize the command, not sure if it will be worth it.

Were you able to navigate the file system?

Edit: Added the following:

Weird. I shut it down again, and it rebooted instead of shutting down....

I had the charger plugged in as well as the KB open, so I disconnected the charger - let's see if that was causing it to power cycle instead of jsut powering off....

Sure enough, no powre cord = no reboot. Weird.

Using the D-Pad up (toward the screen) when powering on gets to the same screen as holding Camera and volume rocker (down) when powering up - same screen I saw before, so this is just an alternate method, I suppose....

I'll play more this weekend, after reading your blogs to keep myself up to date.

Upvote 0
I don't think the first stage bootloader has any concept of the filesystem. I was mainly hoping to figure out how to dump the bootloader code out to a file to examine it more closely and look for more commands.

If it were even possible to change the Linux kernel command line, that should enable rooting the phone.

-Howard
Your Page Title - Home of Better Terminal Emulator Pro, the best Terminal Emulator for Droid.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones