1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

For ICS to JB and back again...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ntsewell, Jul 28, 2013.

1. ntsewell

ntsewell Lurker

Hi guys,

First can I say what a great forum and a useful resource you all have been to me over the past year or so - I'm actually only registering now as (finally, I think!) I've found a question which I can't already find an answer for on here! Great job!

Ok, so background is that I've got a SGS2, GT-I9100 on 3, had it about 12 months, generally pretty happy. About 5 months ago I finally got Kies to work (MediaPlayer issue) and upgraded from GB to ICS and boy was I a happy chappy! Lots of my previous problems went away - so when I was offered and OTA upgrade recently I foolish said "yes, go ahead..."

The JB upgrade that OTA'd itself to me did its thing, finally finished installing and from that moment my problems started. I first noticed the terminal velocity of my battery - about 1% per minute... without even using the phone. Plus it was getting red hot! Read around the forums a bit, clocked the issue with memory card, so formatted it and the issue went away... well kind of. The battery life got a LOT better (it couldn't really have got worse!), but I still only got about 1/3 the run time out of my phone in comparison to pre-JB. So some more reading around suggested I did a factor reset, cleared the cache, cleared the data etc - did all this, and it got better... a bit better...

I'm now at about 1/2 the battery life I used to have. So whereas if I was careful I could get away with 2 days of runtime (I know, I'm light on it!), I now get about 1 day, or have to plug in the charger before finishing my facebook read in bed!

I've turned off things like the Google Now, and anything else I could see that was an enhanced feature... but I can't get it back to 2 days (well, in Airplane mode I do fine, but that's not the point!) So I'd like to go back to ICS, I can't think of anything better to do.

My question is: The Dummies Guide suggests that I choose the ROM that's closest to the version of Andriod that I'm running - but can you choose the one that is closest to the version you WERE running, or will this have a bad effect on my phone - basically, can I roll back? Luckily I recorded everything before doing my OTA upgrade - I've gone from:

Android Version: 4.0.4
    I9100NELP4
    3.015-1114882 dpi@DELL163#3 IM76D.XWLPY

To:
    Android Version: 4.1.2
    BASEBAND Version I900NELS1
    3.0.31-1211311 dpi@DELL251 #3 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 16 10:03:20 KST 2013
    Build Number: JZ054K.I9100XWLSW

I don't mind the look and feel of JB, but it does seem a bit slower on my phone if I'm honest... I can't see what else to do other than go back? If I do, what ROM would you guys suggest is my best match?

Any thoughts / suggestions very much appreciated!

Thanks all,

Neil

Advertisement

2. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

Quite honestly the majority in here tend to have had better battery life with the jelly bean upgrade, but this of course is a variable!

as you are in the root forum,I assume your not adverse to the idea of rooting(you also mention custom Rom) so personally I'd suggest having a read of the dummies guide on rooting the s2, and follow the instructions to root using the siyah kernel b04 or b05. (Sorry links ain't easy as I'm on my phone....)

Once rooted I'd back up using titanium backup, and backup messages etc if required, make a nandroid and backup Google account....Once all backups are made I'd do a fresh install of neat Rom (do full wipe etc before flashing the Rom)

once rebooted set up account, sync Google account(and any others) reinstall titanium backups and you should be good to go....I honestly believe your current problems with battery life will be related to a dirty upgrade(no wipe) and possibly an app or two keeping it awake. Neat Rom will come with philz kernel as stock, many find this perfectly competent but it's not modifiable, siyah kernel will give better battery life without any tweaks :)

3. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

Oh and welcome to the forum ;-) I was like you in that I read stuff for ages before joining up, then found the root forum and did the same thing(read constantly without posting) and eventually rooted and found the confidence to post :p good luck though and don't be afraid to ask any more questions, we are all here to help :)

4. ntsewell

ntsewell Lurker

Thanks for the replies - I'll have a go with the JB you've suggested and hopefully that'll make it all lovely! It'll take me a day or two with all the other stuff I'm doing but I'll write back and let you know how it goes!

Thank you for the help and the encouragement!

Neil

5. ntsewell

ntsewell Lurker

Well, I've done it! It's rooted and all is going well so far!

I used the Siyah-s2-v6.0b5.tar and I've now completed the backup(s) with Titanium Backup and SMS backup. I've used Nandroid and copied that off too - I'm not quite sure what you mean by backing up my Google - it says it backs up automatically...

What I'm a bit stuck on now is the next bit. So, you suggest using the Neat ROM which I'm assuming is the one found in the Dummies link at: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1569686

But what do you mean by doing a full wipe before, and, if it's not a stupid question, do I install this rom using the same Odin tool as I used for the Siyah rom, so basically I repeat the process but with a different tar?

Would you suggest that I try this Neat ROM first or go with the Siyah (but isn't that what I've just installed?)

Thanks for your help - and sorry for the (potentially) silly questions!)

Neil

6. sntaylor

sntaylor Android Expert

No question here is too silly....

to flash a custom Rom you need to boot into recovery, to do this you press volume up, home and power on at the same time. Once in recovery it's pretty simple to find the options to wipe and then install a new Rom and find it within your phone. :) you could try with a no wipe first and it will be a good tester for you to make sure you have done it all correctly :)

that is the correct link for neat Rom :)

7. ntsewell

ntsewell Lurker

OK... so things have not gone well so far...
    I flashed the custom rom and rebooted. It started up but I get error after error saying "Unfortunately, the process com.android.phone has stopped" and Gallery has stopped, and contacts have stopped etc...

Basically I can't do anything! Help!!

Thank you in advance!!

Neil

8. ntsewell

ntsewell Lurker

Update!
    So, I pulled the battery out and restarted into recovery, wiped everything and restarted again, but that didn't help... so I restarted into recovery again, wiped everything in preperation for a new rom, reflashed with the neat rom, and everything seems to be going ok! (PHEW!!) Thought I had a bit of a problem there for a while!!

I've now restored from my Titanium back up and it seems to be working ok... I'll report back in a few days when I've had a chance to get everything back to the way it was and I can compare some battery graphs!

Thanks again!

Neil

sntaylor likes this.