1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

For Non-Americans

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Vihzel, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    NYU Student & Real Estate Agent
    Manhattan, NY
    Something that I've always wondered with my previous studies in linguistics and foreign languages was how non-Americans viewed the Standard American English accent.

I'm really interested to see your input, whether negative or positive!

Advertisement

2. andruoid

andruoid Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    Male
    BC, Canada
    Is there a standard? New York, Florida, Washington, California all sound different to me. Then we have all the other States that have distinguished accents. If I was being stereotypical I'd say I'd be takin like I was on tha farm doin choirs and such. But hey, I don't normally stereotype.

Same goes for England, so many different accents. Listen to someone from Liverpool compared to Newcastle and you'll hear the difference! However, many in N. America hear the Queen's accent and port it over as typical.

As for non-english speaking countries, I can't hear different tones and dialects. Although, my wife is from the Philippines and after a few years I can now detect different accents. I suppose its all what you ear is use to.

I'm from Canada eh and there is diversity up here too eh. Anyway, I can't talk too long, my dogsled is ready to go. Have to get back to the igloo and fry up some bacon. ;-)

ThatonedudexP, HJAcevedo and EarlyMon like this.
  3. Vihzel

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Manhattan, NY
    I apologize. I should have included what I believe the Standard American English accent to sound like. I go by what is taught to non-English speakers in terms of the pronunciation of English words by use of the phonetic alphabet for American English, and I also go by what is already taught to non-American English speakers to achieve the American accent.

This video is a good example of what I'm talking about by a speech-language pathologist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc2Y7xxkp5s&feature=channel_video_title

[​IMG]

I'm well aware that there are a very large number of different accents in the US. The

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    It sounds like the Canadian English I hear all the time to me. :D

A former colleague from Dubai took some English classes and the instructor said that if you want to speak with an American accent, speak louder and more slowly.

EarlyMon likes this.
  5. Sak01

Sak01 Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    I remember that girl from another vid. She can do like a million different accents.

As far as my own personal (London based) perception of American accents goes, the standard one is pretty much standard. Nothing particularly negative or positive about it. To me it doesn't indicate anything about education level, social class etc. It's very neutral.

As for the rest, all of your Southern drawls make the person seem stupid, the Californian accent makes the speaker seem lazy, New Jersey, New York are kind of ugly and aggressive while Bostonian sounds like they're one step away from punching you in the face.

NB. These are just perceptions of course. I'm mature enough not to actually judge people like that but it's interesting to think about how these view's of accents come about.

EarlyMon likes this.
  6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    You're basically referring to the neutral tone. It's the accent that makes it impossible to identify regional differences and can be considered the gold standard in pronunciation for that language. Most newscasters you see on TV (but not all) tend to speak the neutral tone; in fact, they likely have their positions because they can speak without a regional dialect.

I've always wished I could hear objectively what I sounded like if listening through the ears of someone from the UK or Australia. Just what kind of "emotion" does the American English accent evoke?

9to5cynic likes this.
  7. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Other than the Newfies, Canadian and 'standard' American accents 'sound' the same. Although if you listen carefully there are words that the Canadian English is pronounce differetly than the 'standard' American English.

8. theultimateone

None

Nov 9, 2011
    saudia arabia
    This is comming from a saudi
    The standard one nothing good or bad about it
    Californian or floridian kinda sounds aggressive
    Chicago accent is the type that makes you sleepy then say 'does he know what he's saying?'

This is only a personal view

EarlyMon likes this.
  9. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    I know Canadians prounce the letter Z differently than Americans.

A colleague of mine one time said I had an unusual thing about my accent. She said I had a southern drawl. I thought it was strange considering I lived here in the same city for practially all of my life. I did live in Ohio for several months, but that was when I was very little.

I used to have a Chinese accent in elementary school that disappeared in high school. Chinese was my first language.

EarlyMon likes this.
  10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    "Location: Manhattan, NY" now would this be American English as spoken by VOA or CNN anchors, or as spoken by Sylvester Stallone or Top Cat? ;)

[​IMG]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=styleforum-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FMastering-American-Accent-Audio-CDs%2Fdp%2F0764195824

EarlyMon likes this.
  11. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    I remember visiting London once and having English school children mock our American accents. I do hope they don't sound that horrible to all Englishmen.

12. Sak01

Sak01 Android Expert
    None

Mar 5, 2011
    Male
    Nah, they're probably just winding you up. You know how kids are. When I visited NY, the local lads used to constantly mock my English accent. Fortunately, I was secure in the knowledge that most Americans (women especially) LOVE our accent. :D

13. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    They were definitely mocking us. No question about it. Punk kids. Surely our American children would never behave in such a manner.

Most Americans do seem to think any accent is attractive. It adds a couple of points to the hotness score in my book unless it's a redneck accent. Then it takes points away.

14. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    <3 ;)
    haha, I think it's more like EU people with English accents or British or Australian accents. Not to be a racist but I don't find a Chinese's English or an Indian's English accents (i.e. living in Asia) are not very attractive.

Men with a nice low or husky (American/Canadian) or with a British or European English accents are simply lovely to talk to. A few times when I called my bank and sometimes I would get a guy with a lovely tone/voice/accent and I'll think of questions to ask him so I can hear him talk, lol. I have been tempted to ask them for their numbers though I would think they would decline, lol. In University, I was friend with this guy that looked like your stereotypical Otaku (I know, I'm horrible). He had the LOVELIEST tone/voice on the phone, lol. I make sure to not talk to him on the phone. I really can fall for a guy based on his voice XD

15. Vihzel

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Manhattan, NY
    lol I've only lived in NYC for a couple of months. I was born and raised in CA and attended college in central Indiana. The way I speak is essentially the same way that the lady speaks in my OP.

16. A.Nonymous

None

Jun 7, 2010
    Personally I find myself attracted to British and/or Australian accents most followed by a soft southern accent. (Some have theorized that this is because certain southern accents say "uncomplicated", but I won't touch that one.) I'm not attracted to Asian accents speaking English though I do know guys who find it extremely hot.

17. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I'm sure Beijing American has to one of the worse dialects.

Incidentally when it comes to Chinese schools recruiting foreign English teachers, they often want USA, Canada or UK native speakers only. No India, Pakistan, South Africa, etc. I've even known Australian and NZ teachers having problems here, even though they're native speakers.

Cor blimy guv....Where you able to understand them? If not, suggest that one attends the 'The Dick Van Dyke School of Cockney Dialect'.

18. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Do you really? Have you heard a recording of yourself? You never "hear" your own accent. ;)

My thoughts on the Standard American English accent? It's like Received Pronounciation (the so-called "BBC" or "Queen's English") - artificial. So long as it's understandable a regional accent is far preferable (to me).

19. Sixel

Sixel Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    I am from the Philippines, people usually have Filipino-English accent but with business that involves American customers, we are taught to have American Accent, since it is "ideal". I have an American Accent class, I do not know why I need it.

20. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Come to my classes and I'll teach you Bristol dialect English.

Lesson 1.. Gert lush...
    "Yer, joo see that gawd necklace she wuz werren? F'cken gert lush wunnet?"

21. red66charger

red66charger Android Expert
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Television Production, Producer/Director, Editor
    Belleair Bluffs, FL
    Do you all know actress Gillian Anderson from the X-Files? I know she's acted in a ton of other stuff, but in the U.S. she's pretty much known for her role as Agent Dana Scully from the X-Files. A few years ago I learned she was born in Chicago but was raised in London until she was 11. Apparently she uses an American accent when she is in the U.S. and an English accent when she is in the U.K. Flipped me out when I saw her being interviewed and speaking with an English accent.

Sorry if this is too far off topic.

English
    Gillian Anderson on BBC Breakfast - 5/11/09 - YouTube

American
    The Talk. Gillian Anderson (27.07.2011) - YouTube

22. Vihzel

None

Apr 8, 2010
    Manhattan, NY
    Actually... I have. :) I record my speeches before I do them in front of a class.

Fun activity: Take two large pieces of paper and hold them in front of your ears. Stand in a small room with good acoustics and now speak. What you hear is what other people hear.

23. Roze

None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Oh, that sounds interesting. Define a room with good acoustic?

24. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Darn, I should have guessed. :eek: Shouldn't you have speak with a soft Russian accent anyway? :D

Or it's just a cunning ploy to make us look foolish in front of complete strangers? ;)

I've got a friend like Ms Anderson. Her accent alters depending on where she's living at the time, or even who she is with. She normally has a strong local accent, but after spending several years working in Cornwall in SW England picked that accent up. Yet within hours of coming home to visit she was back to her 'native' one, and a few hours after that was in the pub with an old school friend mimicking her (different again!) accent. Funniest thing is, she's completely unaware of it happening and gets quite cross when you take the mickey. :D

25. Mada

Mada Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 5, 2011
    School
    Alabama
    Does this work on a hearing impaired person with a cochlear implant and hearing aids?