• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those already on android, what apps to put on the evo first?

Has anyone downloaded the Swype beta for android from www.swypeinc.com when it was available? According the website they had so many downloads they had to close it. I played with the swype app on a friends Omnia 2 and really liked it. Just was wondering if anyone has downloaded onto their android phone and if they liked it or not?
Thanks for any info you have....

I'm 99% confident that the Swype floating around for the Incredible and N1 will work on the EVO. They have basically the same screen resolution and OS, so I can't think of a single reason why it wouldn't work. If you want to get it now, just go to the Incredible forum and search; there are also many mods available with different skins/colors.

The downside to using Swype is that you won't have any customized key from the stock keyboard. On the Incredible, this means you don't have the microphone button for speech to text. On the EVO, this means you won't have either the microphone button or the cursor keys. (Swype does have its own cursor keys available, but you have to tap a few buttons to get them to come up.)

BTW, Swype is amazing. I'm twice as fast and twice as accurate using it versus the stock HTC keyboard on the Incredible.

Upvote 0
There's so many apps I can't wait to try. Me and my friend have Tivo and we saw an app turn your phone into your remote. LOL! But I would like to know if anyone knows this like the grocery list app can you speak and will it type up your list? My friend uses Vlingo on his BB now and it lets you speak and types in any app he said. I would love to be able to say my list andhave it typed for me.

I'm really looking forward to trying barcode scanner. Might be fun to play with.

Upvote 0
This is what I got for now. Most of these Apps I have found on AppBrain (And mainly reading through this thread) but I also found others looking the Android Market site, so, no AppBrain links .. for now. I basically named them as to what the apps are called though. Some, like "Sudoku" for example don't have the full name, but gives you an idea :)

Applications(31)

• Ustream Broadcaster

• WHERE

• ShopSavvy

• Pandora

• Lookout Mobile Security FREE

• Shazam

• Urban Dictionary

• Dictionary.com

• Google Goggles

• Ringdroid

• Photobucket Mobile

• Handcent SMS

• Advanced Task Killer

• Movies

• Google Translate

• Layar

• Aloqa

• Grooveshark

• Bump

• Bible

• Loopt

• AIM

• Funny Jokes

• 10001 Cocktails

• Bartender

• Skyfire Browser

• Tricorder

• Dropbox

• Digital Rain - Live Wallpaper

• Bubble

• Talk to Me

Games (18)

• Abduction!

• Replica Island

• Falling Ball

• Mini Shot Basketball

• Solitaire

• Shoot U!

• Blow Up

• Jewels

• CubicMan

• Robo Defense

• Paper Toss

• Bonsai Blast

• Sudoku

• PAC-MAN

• Trap!

• Texas Hold'Em

• Tetris

• Card Counter

** Most, if not All the Apps & Games listed are Free. (Some are LITE versions, but still .. Free)
If this has helped you, Please "Thank" Me. :D

Reactions: ovelay
Upvote 0
This is probably a stupid question, but what is the difference between a widget and an app?

You can put a shortcut to an App on the homescreen, and when you touch it, it launches the App. The shortcut never changes appearance.

If you put a widget on the homescreen, you can interact with the widget, AND it changes state and appearance.

Reactions: aliveon2legs
Upvote 0
Maybe a mod can stickie this for all us noobs out there wondering what to do when we get our Evo, and to help people pass the time looking up cool apps and letting the rest of us know!
I could but I think we have too many stickies as is. Instead I'll put the threads link in the "All Forum Links" thread that is already stickied.

As for my list, I'll post it up later after I set up my AppBrain account.

TS

Reactions: djdisturbed
Upvote 0
I'm looking forward to trying out TransDroid as I'm currently on an iPhone and ole Steve didn't think it appropriate to be allowed in the app store.

I see a few people listing Google Voice. How useful is it really in practice? I'm curious. I don't know anyone with any invites left at this point.

Google Voice is very useful. It is a complete replacement for Messaging. When I have to reply with a long message, I just head over to voice.google.com and use my Desktop to SMS. Voicemail is interactive, like playing an audio file and lets you seek to wherever you want.

Upvote 0
Google Voice is very useful. It is a complete replacement for Messaging. When I have to reply with a long message, I just head over to voice.google.com and use my Desktop to SMS. Voicemail is interactive, like playing an audio file and lets you seek to wherever you want.

Only problem is mms disappears into a void, never to return.

Upvote 0
Only problem is mms disappears into a void, never to return.
??
Never had an issue
I like it b/c when i get a voice message, google voice will text me the text of the message and/or email it to me so I dont have to listen to it (like visual voicemail should do, but does not on alot of devices). also it allows me to have 1 number for people to call that i can have ring to ANY other phone I want at the same time, i can have it ring to my cell, home and any other number i tell it to and the people i call dont know the diff. I can set diff voice greeting for people i know, family, unknown numbers, etc so i can leave a messsage to family that might call to let them know how I'm doing or why i cant answer the phone, I can leave a diff message for other people to get when they call. ITs really cool, AND free.

OH it also allows you to screen calls by making the people say who they are before it sends the call out to your phone(s) (if they call your google voice number), then when you pick up your phone you can hear the name and and you can allow or send the call to voice mail (works good for unknown numbers/blocked id numbers calling you)

Reactions: hopalee
Upvote 0
??
Never had an issue
I like it b/c when i get a voice message, google voice will text me the text of the message and/or email it to me so I dont have to listen to it (like visual voicemail should do, but does not on alot of devices). also it allows me to have 1 number for people to call that i can have ring to ANY other phone I want at the same time, i can have it ring to my cell, home and any other number i tell it to and the people i call dont know the diff. I can set diff voice greeting for people i know, family, unknown numbers, etc so i can leave a messsage to family that might call to let them know how I'm doing or why i cant answer the phone, I can leave a diff message for other people to get when they call. ITs really cool, AND free.

OH it also allows you to screen calls by making the people say who they are before it sends the call out to your phone(s) (if they call your google voice number), then when you pick up your phone you can hear the name and and you can allow or send the call to voice mail (works good for unknown numbers/blocked id numbers calling you)

I don't know how this is possible because I'm pretty sure google voice does not support picture/video messages(mms). Are you saying it works for you?

Upvote 0
You can put a shortcut to an App on the homescreen, and when you touch it, it launches the App. The shortcut never changes appearance.

If you put a widget on the homescreen, you can interact with the widget, AND it changes state and appearance.
Thanks. Can you give me a generic example of how a widget can be changed?

I'm coming from Apple-land, so the widget thing is new to me.

Upvote 0
Thanks. Can you give me a generic example of how a widget can be changed?

I'm coming from Apple-land, so the widget thing is new to me.

For example, the CPU overclocking app SetCPU has a widget that shows your the current processor speed. The clock widget changes the time every minute. Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS/4G widgets showing on/off state. Pandora widget showing current playing song. etc

Upvote 0
For example, the CPU overclocking app SetCPU has a widget that shows your the current processor speed. The clock widget changes the time every minute. Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS/4G widgets showing on/off state. Pandora widget showing current playing song. etc
Oh, sweet. Do they use a lot of system resouces running in the background all the time?

Upvote 0
I'm guessing no body is a baseball fan, but I am. MLB atbat 2010 from the market is the best baseball app out there. It cost an arm and a leg for an app (14.99), but I'm sure you can find at app website for less or for free.

If you want some high end 3d games, check out Project Chronos, ExZeus. Those two games only work on high end phones such as Evo, Nexus, Incredible.

Have fun gang.

P.S. Froyo 2.2 will be coming out later this year, no date yet. I heard that the update will allow you to put paid apps that you buy from the market onto the sd card. I hope that's true.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones