1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

For those of you having problems with your Incredible after 2.2

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JuicyJones, Sep 5, 2010.

1. For those who don't know, the RUU was a flash. It wipes everything out of the phone and reinstalls a clean copy of Android 2.2 The OTA was an update. All that does is overwrites your system file and few other files, and that's it. Because of this, you will have compatibility problems with apps installed from 2.1 on 2.1. The same thing happened with Eris & Droid users going from 2.0 to 2.1.

So, are you saying that a hard reset would somehow get the proper 2.2 system installed on my Inc? Because I don't seem to have 2.2 installed -
    after the update was sent to my phone, all I see under Settigns>About phone>Software information>Firmware version is 2.1-update1. I really need help with this, because my phone is really freaking out - there's not just battery kill and lag, but overheating, spontaneous app launches, spontaneous reboots, and forced battery-pulls when it completely locks up with the screen perpetually bright and useless. If I need to start clean with the full Froyo 2.2 version, then where can I get it for Incredible?

I also need more info on how this Backup Assistant works, for cry'n out lout - it doesn't display in my dockbar apps list, and the only access which I've had to it so far is under Settings, through which I can send a backup update, but not access my backups. What exactly does it backup anyway - does it send everything as it works in the background between the default-scheduled hours of 6AM to 12PM?, or just my contacts? You'd think that with that much time it would, but when I ran a manual update, it ran so short that I wouldn't count on it being better than the latter. How do I access my backups anyway, when I need them?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. "For those who don't know, the RUU was a flash. It wipes everything out of the phone and reinstalls a clean copy of Android 2.2 The OTA was an update. All that does is overwrites your system file and few other files, and that's it. Because of this, you will have compatibility problems with apps installed from 2.1 on 2.1. The same thing happened with Eris & Droid users going from 2.0 to 2.1."

So, are you saying that a hard reset would somehow get the proper 2.2 system installed on my Inc? Because I don't seem to have 2.2 installed -
    after the update was sent to my phone, all I see under Settigns>About phone>Software information>Firmware version is 2.1-update1. I really need help with this, because my phone is really freaking out - there's not just battery kill and lag, but overheating, spontaneous app launches, spontaneous reboots, and forced battery-pulls when it completely locks up with the screen perpetually bright and useless. If I need to start clean with the full Froyo 2.2 version, then where can I get it for Incredible?

I also need more info on how this Backup Assistant works, for cry'n out lout - it doesn't display in my dockbar apps list, and the only access which I've had to it so far is under Settings, through which I can send a backup update, but not access my backups. What exactly does it backup anyway - does it send everything as it works in the background between the default-scheduled hours of 6AM to 12PM?, or just my contacts? You'd think that with that much time it would, but when I ran a manual update, it ran so short that I wouldn't count on it being better than the latter. How do I access my backups anyway, when I need them?

3. YamiYaiba

YamiYaiba Well-Known Member

The Backup Assistant doesn't actually run for 6 hours. It just runs itself at some point between 6AM and 12PM. And yes, all it backs up is your contacts. Run it after a factory reset, punch in your PIN, and it'll download all your contacts again. If you want to back up your apps, either use an app from the Market that does it, synchronize your apps with AppBrain, or just write down everything you have and redownload them all by hand.

4. Digital

Digital Newbie

I have a question. I'm thinking about doing a factory reset due to some random lag I get when pulling down the notification tray. It locks up my phone for a good 30 seconds the first time it gets used after an unlock. My concern is the paid apps, would you have to re-buy them? I believe I have them moved to the SD card so they should be there after the reset correct? Or should the reset wipe the SD card too?

5. cp1

cp1 Android Enthusiast

Google knows which apps you've paid for, so you can redownload them for free.

6. mousouchop

mousouchop Newbie

Okay, I actually purchased my Incredible shortly after the 2.2 update (just this past week). I got my phone home, and before I was able to install any apps I was prompted to update my phone. I allowed the phone to update and have only ever really used my phone with the 2.2 Froyo (aside from a couple of calls and texts I sent from the Verizon store).

My phone seems pretty stable... however, when I open ATK randomly during the day I see random apps like Skype Mobile, FM Radio, CityID, VZ Nav and others that I assume are running, as I am given the option to kill them. However, I do not use ANY of these apps. I have NEVER manually launched them once. Also, my phone will charge from an additional 30 minutes if I turn it off with the battery at "100%."

Now, are these issues solved by doing a factory reset? Or is the only thing to gain from this reset stability (which I already have *knock on wood*). Just curious before I try this and have to spend another week reconfiguring this phone that I've just spent a week configuring. XD

7. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert

You probably won't gain anything reseting, the main advantage is removing the apps that have been installed on 2.1 and arent optimized for froyo. Since your phone is new you won't have that problem.

And the 2 issues you mentioned won't be fixed by a reset. Htc and vzw set those apis to cache themselves in the background. They aren't using any cpu/battery/newtork...and killing them to just have them restart will cost you battery and system lag. Do yourself the favor of uninstalling ATK.

As for the charging issue, look up bump charging...
    It won't be fixed by a factory reset.

HTC Droid Incredible Forum

The HTC Droid Incredible release date was April 2010. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

April 2010
Release Date
Reviews