• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those of you that Bluetooth your phone to your car

King Mustard

Dec 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I think I have found a bug in Android 6.0.1 on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

Put all four volume bars (Ringtone, Media, Notifications, System) at full.

Connect your phone to your car via. Bluetooth.

Put some music on (any app will do, they should all work the same).

Make sure all four volume bars are still full.

Open Google Maps and make the voice say something.

On my phone, the Media volume (that controls both music and voice notifications) turns down to around 50/60% every time s/he speaks.

It's very annoying!

It was the same on the Galaxy S6 edge and Galaxy S5 as far as I remember. Some damn safety feature shoved in by lawyers.
Yeh, lawyers, manufacturers terrified of multi-million dollar dimwit lawsuits, EU legislation, etc.
Sorry guys, I don't think you understand what I mean.

The Media volume bar drops to around 50% during speech, affecting both the music and the speech at the same time.

So basically, I'll be listening to music at a comfortable level then the music and speech both drop equally to around 50%, rendering both inaudible.

I believe this a purely a bug.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Speech being treated as media with external speakers could be a bug or maybe they are both treated alike when external.

I assume that nanny Samsung can't differentiate between a Bluetooth speaker and earphones, so everything external is treated as earphones and restricted to levels that won't cause hearing loss. To increase past that point you have to raise the volume and OK the popup with warnings. Not very convenient in the car unfortunately.

Incidentally, it's also possible that volume settings are stored separately for internal and external speakers so you may be able to push up the volume with the Bluetooth connection after hitting OK and have it remember that setting next time you reconnect. If I recall right, I have seen that behavior with earphones on my old S5.

Upvote 0
Speech being treated as media with external speakers could be a bug or maybe they are both treated alike when external.

I assume that nanny Samsung can't differentiate between a Bluetooth speaker and earphones, so everything external is treated as earphones and restricted to levels that won't cause hearing loss. To increase past that point you have to raise the volume and OK the popup with warnings. Not very convenient in the car unfortunately.

Incidentally, it's also possible that volume settings are stored separately for internal and external speakers so you may be able to push up the volume with the Bluetooth connection after hitting OK and have it remember that setting next time you reconnect. If I recall right, I have seen that behavior with earphones on my old S5.
Whilst she's talking, I can turn the volume up and she goes to 100% volume/loudness (though the music does not) but the next time she speaks (next navigation instruction), it's back to 50/60% :/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones