• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For Those Of You With Concerns About The DNA's Camera I Offer This...

In the Last pictures, why is the sunlight on the chair on the right for the DNA, but on the Chair on the Left for the Note 2 if they are closely spaced in time?

I'm not sure what you're seeing. The light shows up on different chairs in the two pics but based on the angle it's consistent. Only thing I can think of is that clouds were passing in front of the sun while I was taking the pics. It was somewhat overcast yesterday.

Upvote 0
All it takes is a cloud to be there one second and gone the next, this has nothing to do with angle. Or.....At first it looked like the data shows them being taken 12 seconds apart at 3:58:17 for the Note 2 and 3:58:28 for the DNA. But then I noticed something. The Note 2 has an auto stamp in the naming convention and that is Jan. 5th as opposed to the Jan. 7th for picture data. This turns out to be when they were uploaded to Photo Place. It would be impossible to explain the sun shining in different places at nearly the same time in the photos. Then I noticed clear evidence that these pictures were taken well apart, or at least something is clearly afoot (pun intended, see next sentence). If you look at the bottom of the chair legs, near the table foot, the right chair has been moved. Here are the crops:

Note 2

82nd-airborne-albums-crop-proof-picture7324-20130105-121950-zps00959f28.jpg

DNA

82nd-airborne-albums-crop-proof-picture7325-imag0043-zpsaaeef4ab.jpg

Regardless of the timing, I have to say that the evidence is clear, there is more bright light in the DNA picture from the sun shining through and not as much with the Note 2. In fact, you can see only a smidge of sun light on the chair to the left with the Note 2 and you can see very bright sun on the carpet and right chair in the DNA picture. This will wash out out the color as there is a major difference in contrast in the DNA picture. Also, the DNA picture was taken with a slight bit of movement. The pictures in the parking lot picture I see better color in the DNA. The DNA is slightly over saturated and the Note 2 is under saturated.

Upvote 0
All it takes is a cloud to be there one second and gone the next, this has nothing to do with angle. Or.....At first it looked like the data shows them being taken 12 seconds apart at 3:58:17 for the Note 2 and 3:58:28 for the DNA. But then I noticed something. The Note 2 has an auto stamp in the naming convention and that is Jan. 5th as opposed to the Jan. 7th for picture data. This turns out to be when they were uploaded to Photo Place. It would be impossible to explain the sun shining in different places at nearly the same time in the photos. Then I noticed clear evidence that these pictures were taken well apart, or at least something is clearly afoot (pun intended, see next sentence). If you look at the bottom of the chair legs, near the table foot, the right chair has been moved. Here are the crops:

Note 2

82nd-airborne-albums-crop-proof-picture7324-20130105-121950-zps00959f28.jpg

DNA

82nd-airborne-albums-crop-proof-picture7325-imag0043-zpsaaeef4ab.jpg

Regardless of the timing, I have to say that the evidence is clear, there is more bright light in the DNA picture from the sun shining through and not as much with the Note 2. In fact, you can see only a smidge of sun light on the chair to the left with the Note 2 and you can see very bright sun on the carpet and right chair in the DNA picture. This will wash out out the color as there is a major difference in contrast in the DNA picture. Also, the DNA picture was taken with a slight bit of movement. The pictures in the parking lot picture I see better color in the DNA. The DNA is slightly over saturated and the Note 2 is under saturated.

Hmmm, maybe I uploaded the wrong pic on here or something. I took several pics for this thread. At this point, I don't really care anymore. Both phones take decent pics. The coloring is different and that's not going to change no matter how much you overanalyze each pic for minor differences in lighting, angle, whatever. But whether that favors one or the other is a matter of opinion. I personally think the Note 2 has better coloring because I can look at the pics and the real articles (namely the walls) and tell that the Note 2 pics are closer to reality than what I get from the DNA. Others have expressed preference of the DNA pics despite the fact they they aren't completely accurate.

If I were to make a bottom line, I'd say the Note 2's cam is better, but not so much as to make it a selling point for that phone over the DNA.

And on another note, you dudes have way too much time on your hands. Examining these pics to point where you're identifying an inch or so shift in chair positioning is just unnecessary. This is just casual conversation. You guys are going at it like a CSI trying to solve murder mystery. lol

Upvote 0
You guys are going at it like a CSI trying to solve murder mystery. lol

Well I am an amateur photographer, so I couldn't help but notice the lighting issue. I am also a former police officer and have a degree in law enforcement (no CSI here though) :)

"Both phones take decent pics." I agree that they are both nice cameras.

"At this point, I don't really care anymore." I am glad you posted the pictures and also appreciate the effort and opinion you provided. Cheers! :D

Upvote 0
Well I am an amateur photographer, so I couldn't help but notice the lighting issue. I am also a former police officer and have a degree in law enforcement (no CSI here though) :)

"Both phones take decent pics." I agree that they are both nice cameras.

"At this point, I don't really care anymore." I am glad you posted the pictures and also appreciate the effort and opinion you provided. Cheers! :D

lol It all makes sense now.

Upvote 0
Those look fantastic! Really beautiful country.

May I as what part of the country those were taken?

Thanks for sharing them!

Central Michigan. The city of Owosso specifically, I travel all over the Midwest, there is far more beautiful places than this town.

The Keweenaw Peninsula of the Upper Peninsula, and Upstate NY and a huge chunk of PA come to mind.

Upvote 0
Another thing that will help improve picture quality is to touch the screen on the object or person that you want the picture to be focused on. One picture that I thought could benefit from this feature is the picture of the dog.

When you're holding up the phone, you can press on the screen on the face of the dog so that the phone will focus on the dog and make that portion of the picture sharp, as opposed to focusing onto a different part of the picture that's possibly closer or further away than your intended subject.

If you select the "Settings" cog on the camera interface, then scroll to "Camera Options", checkmark the "Touch to Capture" option which will enable the camera to snap a photo as soon as you select the object of focus. It allows you to take a step out of selecting your focus, and then selecting the shutter button.

Selecting the object of focus also helps in setting exposure for the image. As a great example, point your phone towards a window with light coming in. Select an object in the room that's dark, and you'll see the picture adjust exposure for that object. Now select the window, and you'll see the window go from being blown out, to being exposed correctly, while everything in the room goes dark. Its another way to add functionality, and to take MUCH better pictures, with just one press of the screen.

Upvote 0
Another thing that will help improve picture quality is to touch the screen on the object or person that you want the picture to be focused on. One picture that I thought could benefit from this feature is the picture of the dog.

When you're holding up the phone, you can press on the screen on the face of the dog so that the phone will focus on the dog and make that portion of the picture sharp, as opposed to focusing onto a different part of the picture that's possibly closer or further away than your intended subject.

If you select the "Settings" cog on the camera interface, then scroll to "Camera Options", checkmark the "Touch to Capture" option which will enable the camera to snap a photo as soon as you select the object of focus. It allows you to take a step out of selecting your focus, and then selecting the shutter button.

Selecting the object of focus also helps in setting exposure for the image. As a great example, point your phone towards a window with light coming in. Select an object in the room that's dark, and you'll see the picture adjust exposure for that object. Now select the window, and you'll see the window go from being blown out, to being exposed correctly, while everything in the room goes dark. Its another way to add functionality, and to take MUCH better pictures, with just one press of the screen.

Yeah, that's a good point. I figured out about that by accident, but it works.

Upvote 0
I'm bored at work, so I figured I would illustrate my response above with some pics! Granted, these are some very extreme examples, but they're better to illustrate the point.

This first pic, you'll notice the keyboard is in focus, even though that's not where I wanted the focus of the picture to be. The text on the pen is blurry and difficult to read.
PC4Vf.jpg

In this second picture, I tapped on the screen on the pen that I wanted in focus, and you'll notice the focus shifted from the keyboard to the pen, which made a much better picture.

RQI1k.jpg

Again, this is a very extreme example, and I had to actually cause the picture to do this, but it illustrates just how much exposure can be affected in a beneficial way, if you touch-select the subject of the photograph. In this first picture, the camera exposed for the light in the ceiling. You can see some detail in the light fixture, but everything else in the photo is way too dark.

fUSMu.jpg

Now for the second photograph, I tapped on the screen at the filing cabinets, and the camera automatically adjusted the exposure for the subject of the picture. It blew the light out, but since the light fixture was not the subject of my picture, the camera exposure did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Cy4b5.jpg

This small tip of what to do will bring you photographs that are MUCH better balanced in color and in exposure, and will give you the sharpness you're looking for when photographing a certain subject.

Reactions: zenman
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones