• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those staying with your D1...

I think it's pretty sad really that companies are not supporting devices past one year. The Droid 1 isn't a year old yet and we're talking end of life? This is the reason I am BIG on 1-year contracts. It only takes about 10 months and you're obsolete. It isn't right when considering the base price of these phones. The carriers and phone makers owe it to the customers to support the device AT LEAST 2 years past initial release.
I owned the EnV Touch a while back, VZW screwed that phone royally. It was touted as an App Store phone, etc. It got tossed like a red-headed step child in 3 months when Droid originally launced. VZW still sells the Touch, but I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.
Also, look at the Eris. Took forever to get 2.0 and is already phased out. I don't like this trend. The price of phones needs to drop substantially or the support needs to improve to justify the costs.
2-Year contracts are far too long these days and most phones barely limp to the 24-month mark.....

Upvote 0
I don't think for the carriers there is very little reason for the to keep selling Droid 1 when Droid 2 is on sale, unless it is significantly cheaper (like selling iphone 3gs alongside with 4). Another thing is how fast the OS is changing. Eclair to Froyo jump is pretty huge, and to gingerbread will be enormous.
I think Droid was very significant in a way that created positive notions about android.
It was the first Android with some decent hardware.
G1 was significant in a different way that it was the first but failed to impress MOST because of its shortcomings in its hardware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones