• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those still concerned about battery life.

huntleth

Jun 26, 2010
I keep a fairly close eye on my battery level and usage and have been able to deduce a few things which, although common knowledge for most, might help a few people so just thought i'd spell them out here:

I am using R2BA020 firmware and currently am on 70% battery life, 21 Hours, 56 Minutes since last unplugged. I use my phone frequently for texting as well as yesterday browsing the internet for a while and calling and taking a few pictures.

For anyone who is still seeing poor battery performance:

• Make sure you know what firmware you need (x10i/x10a) this is VERY important.

• Secondly, that popular App, JuiceDefender, I only use the free version but it's absolutely fantastic. Don't try and fiddle with it, just let it setup and do its own thing. (See Note 1 at bottom of post)

• Task Killers: Although there's no need to use them religiously, I keep the 'Advanced Task Killer' widget on my desktop and every now and then just tap it to kill any tasks straight away - you can add apps like juice defender to the ignore list :).

• --Never use the home button if you are trying to exit an app. This leaves it running!

• Screen Brightness: Leave it to adjust automatically. I used to leave it on full brightness because I love my screen :D. It's still perfectly usable and bright if you leave it to adjust itself, and this will save you a significant amount of power.

• Lastly, for anyone who has recently got this phone, be patient. It does take a while for the battery to reach its full potential. Many people say 3-4 days. I have had this phone for 2-3 weeks and would say only in the last few days has it really started to impress me. It's a myth that you need to discharge the battery completely, this was true of older batteries, but with the battery in the X10, charge it at any opportunity. You will soon notice that you can go for far more than a day without charging.
NOTE 1:

There are reports of the latest update of Juice Defender not working properly, I have not updated so do not know. If you are finding this to be the case, use this advice below, as I can confirm this is a major battery killer!
As said below:

Juice Defender has never worked on my X10. Only 2 things have, other than the obvious of keeping Wifi to a minimum and keeping GPS off;

1) Turn off the "location determined by Network" option. I knew location by GPS would kill the battery in minutes, but never thought this apparently simpler option would.

2) Turn off "Background Data".

With that I can now at least get a day out of my phone. If either of those options are on, its much less than a day.

Just a few things I have read, and noticed. Hope this helps someone :)

Reactions: peetypies
Yep, this app is a power saver and basically controls the features of your phone, turning them on and off as needed, or at certain times of the day. It tells you how much it's improving your battery life and on mine it's anywhere between 1.75 and 2 times as much as it would be without it.

:)

Upvote 0
Juice Defender has never worked on my X10. Only 2 things have, other than the obvious of keeping Wifi to a minimum and keeping GPS off;

1) Turn off the "location determined by Network" option. I knew location by GPS would kill the battery in minutes, but never thought this apparently simpler option would.

2) Turn off "Background Data".

With that I can now at least get a day out of my phone. If either of those options are on, its much less than a day.

Upvote 0
That's really odd, juice defender does a fantastic job for me, although I have not updated it as I've heard the latest update is awful! On that note, I hope you don't mind if I C&P what you said above into the original post, as if the rumours are true, new users might be better to abandon Juice Defender.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones