1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

For those waiting on SGP Ultra Crystal Screen Protector...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Cemo, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Cemo

Cemo Newbie

I've noticed several people, like myself, saying something along the lines of, "I hope Steinheil comes out with the Ultra Crystal screen protector soon!"

Well, unfortunately, I saw this on their twitter feed:

@sgpstore Any plans to make the Ultra Crystal screen protector for the Galaxy Nexus?

SGP Store @sgpstore Close
    @abevAWD Sorry we dont plan to add any other screen protector beside Ultra Oleophobic and the Flex. The oleo is just as clear as the Crystal

Just an FYI.

IndecisiveElle likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Android&Dom

Android&Dom Well-Known Member

the SGP ultra oleo isn't edge to edge....there is so much screen left uncovered. I know a lot of people here are crazy for XO protectors, but I really don't want to mess around with a liquid on my screen...just very hesitant...any other dry apply clear screen protectors out there that actually cover the entire GNEX screen???

3. Cemo

Cemo Newbie

SGP claims that edge to edge is not possible for dry apps on the Nexus due to the curved screen (edge to edge on dry app eventually curls up), though who knows. Boxwave claims "Full Coverage" on their crystal product but there's a big cut out for the ear piece and front camera/sensors.

I personally did not like XO...the liquid application didn't scare me, but I felt (and a few others have echoed this) that it was too rubbery and the clarity was compromised. Others claim that it's silky smooth and can't tell that it's there, so its' just going to be user preference. Apparently I'm a dry-crystal kinda guy (feels more like the original glass, no clarity loss).

4. trophynuts

trophynuts Extreme Android User

this stinks...guess i'll hold out for seido.

i'm just so nervous about using a wet application screenie....

5. Android&Dom

Android&Dom Well-Known Member

I'm a crystal guy all the way...had my sgp crystal on my dinc for a year before replacing, those things were great

6. daygo718

daygo718 Member

I have the SGP Oleo on my Gnex and had the Crystal on my Dinc. IMO, I can't tell the difference between the two. My screen is as clear with the oleo on as if it was bare. The fact that it is not edge to edge made me hesitant at first, but I'm perfectly fine with it now knowing that my screen is protected from scratches. I am in the camp of not wanting a wet application screen protector due to bad experiences in the past. For me, the oleo was the best choice for a dry application that's on the market right now.

7. trophynuts

exactly how much screen is left uncovered? if it's negligible i could deal with that. i mean what is the chance your going to get a scratch in the very small spot that may not be covered?

8. keepfiring

keepfiring Newbie

There are a couple mm on all sides uncovered. Pics attached unless I screwed this up somehow. With my incipio case on there's basically no unprotected screen, but I feel like they could've gotten a little closer to the border really.

Attached Files:

SnowBose likes this.
  9. trophynuts

i could probably live with that.

10. mntbighker

mntbighker Well-Known Member

I just installed my ultra oleo and I don't like the uncovered area but if its true full cover would curl... well ok. I'm pretty happy with the product.

edit:

The Steinhell Super Oleo is the worst grease magnet I have ever seen. It is much worse than a bare screen and MUCH worse than the Steinhell matt finish I had on my DroidX(2). I will keep it because I prefer to have a protector and hate the rubbery ones. But it is a pretty big disappointment compared to my prior experience. It also distorts much worse because it collects oil so much.

11. IndecisiveElle

IndecisiveElle Android Expert

I was a huge fan of wet app protectors, zagg in particular for all my phones previous to this. I hadn't put the zagg I purchased on yet because I wanted to see if I would get any issues. Well today I noticed about 5 mini scratches. Litterally struggled to see them, because they're probably half a hair or less wide and fairly sort. But they are there. So I immediately put on the zagg. Now I've never minded the rubbery feel they have, I find it makes my texting more accurate. It is also edge to edge with the exception of the top speaker and camera.

But, at this point, about an hour after installation, I am not as happy with the clarity. My iPad looks awful with the zagg too. My Gnex is a lot better than that but it seems like the better resolution and the bigger the screen, the more noticeable it is.
    Just my two cents.

On a side note, SGP now has a TPU case for the Gnex as well.

12. I like the NON edge-to-edge because this means that the protector won't lift off when you put on a case!

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews