• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

For those who 2.1 updated - questions/patterns

EgeBamyasi

Jan 20, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't know if this would be helpful or not, but I'm extremely curious about the disparity between people having issues with the 2.1 update and those who are not. I made a couple of posts to the Issues - Quirks thread asking about the 'with google' branding and if this may be making a difference. It did get me thinking, so I'd like to throw these questions out there for those who upgraded to 2.1 and see if there's a pattern. BTW, I'm still 1.5 and never rooted and have the 'with google' branding.

1. Do you have 'with google' branding on your phone?

a) Have you ever rooted?
b) If rooted, what did you have (ROM, etc)?

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store?
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use?
c) Did you have issues with the download?

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing?

My answers in bold.

1. Do you have 'with google' branding on your phone? * Yes, I do.

a) Have you ever rooted? * No

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store? * Myself
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? * A mirrior of the HTC sites download.
c) Did you have issues with the download? * Not with the mirrored site I used that day. And if there was a problem, it was due to download capacity.

* In all honesty, I dont notice ANY problems, and if I was to point one specifically, I would say the ringer lag, but it was the same in 1.5 so... doesnt make a difference to me. The Market also does a weird glitch sometimes when I start to browse, it returns to the main Market screen for no apparent reason. Other than that, 2.1 is running just fine. (for me)

Upvote 0
1. Do you have 'with google' branding on your phone? Yes

a) Have you ever rooted? No
b) If rooted, what did you have (ROM, etc)? NA

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store? Myself
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? From 2 separate mirror sites where people uploaded the updates
c) Did you have issues with the download? No

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? Somewhat decreased battery life, lag in the dialer/call functions, lag in landscape typing. I can't speak to Bluetooth or Facebook syncing issues as I use neither.

Overall, I'm mostly happy with the official 2.1. Phone is much faster (except as noted above) and very stable for me. I wouldn't go back to 1.5 given the option.

Upvote 0
1. Do you have 'with google' branding on your phone? YES

a) Have you ever rooted? NO

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store? MYSELF
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? SPRINT.COM
c) Did you have issues with the download? NO

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? NONE :D

I also did a factory reset before upgrading. I haven't run into any issues so far...although I have yet to pair my phone with my wife's car's bluetooth system. I would also not go back to 1.5 given the opportunity.

Upvote 0

b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? SPRINT.COM
c) Did you have issues with the download? NO

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? Bluetooth

Upvote 0

b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? Mirror site from here in one of the threads.
c) Did you have issues with the download? None what so ever, and took about 5 minutes from start to finish.

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? 1)Lag when calling, that is my main issue, and also the lag sometimes is so bad that if you get inpatient and hit the call button it calls the caller twice. 2)Google Navigation works good once started, the key is to get it started as it also lags to get going at the beginning. 3) Battery life is about the same, maybe a tad better, some days better than others with the same amount of usage. 4) Damn vibrate upon connecting to a call, would be great to be able to turn it off. 5) So far no issues with my BT I have the Motorola H 715.

PS. What I may try for the heck of it on the weekend when I have time is un install all my Market apps, and test the phone with just stock equipment just to see, this will tell me if an app in the market is causing our issues, and then if that is the case then I will install one app at a time and then test the phone, everytime I add an app and see which app or apps is the culprit

Upvote 0

b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? Mirror site from here in one of the threads.
c) Did you have issues with the download? None what so ever, and took about 5 minutes from start to finish.

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? 1)Lag when calling, that is my main issue, and also the lag sometimes is so bad that if you get inpatient and hit the call button it calls the caller twice 2)calendar not updating to Outlook when I enter the task on my phones calendar. 3) Bluetooth in car did work, now doesn't. 4)keyboard lag to landscape.

I am not impressed at all with the update. This is still a phone and that seems to be it's weakest "strength".

Upvote 0

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store? Updated via a mirror of the HTC Download - Within the very hour of its release
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? Updated via a mirror of the HTC Download - Within the very hour of its release
c) Did you have issues with the download? No, loaded in like 5 minutes

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? Unacceptable landscape keyboard lag, sub par (when compared to my 1.5 tweaks) battery life, and consistent UI Lag, weird signal problems - The signal bar flashes a lot between no and 3 bars.
The Market also acts funny like a poster above me mentioned - It has glitches.

Upvote 0

b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? Sprint.com
c) Did you have issues with the download? None

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? I orignially downloaded the leaked RUU version 3 days before I downloaded the official from sprint. Issues: minor landscape keyboard lag, volume side control will not snooze the alarm. That's all I really noticed.

Overall I'm pleased with 2.1. It runs smoother for me, better app market, it seems battery life has improved, although I don't have widgets running on my phone anymore because they suck down battery juice even though I do like them.

Upvote 0
1. Do you have 'with Google' branding on your phone? Yes

b) If rooted, what did you have (ROM, etc)? ...

b) If you downloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? Sprint Site
c) Did you have issues with the download? Smooth as silk

-Poor battery life (Slightly fixed by using ATK to kill all app b4 I turn off the screen)
-Random reboots (Havn't had one in a while... Seems to be certain widgets causing reboots)
-Slow response time when making a call using the People widget (hit and miss)
-Occasionally after a reboot, the lag is horrendous (needs to be rebooted again, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes before touching anything. And then need to use ATK to quit out of the 15-20 apps that start at boot-up...)

Upvote 0

b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? Sprint

HTC music widget acting funky. Cannot advance to next tune unless I reboot.
Call delay on incoming calls. Most incoming calls are going to V/M before I get the 3rd ring.

Upvote 0

Yes

a) Have you ever rooted?

a) No
b) N/A

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store?
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use?
c) Did you have issues with the download?

a) Myself
b) Sprint website
c) Nope

Fixed: Much better battery life! :)

Problems: Extreme ringer lag (in some cases, calls go right to voicemail the second my phone rings!), EVDO connection dropping and not coming back until resetting phone, two or three random reboots daily. :(

Upvote 0

a) Have you ever rooted? Yes
b) If rooted, what did you have (ROM, etc)? I have the Damageless 2.1.zip leak ROM w/ Root. It's the same as the official Sprint, just has Root access still.

b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? xda-developers
c) Did you have issues with the download? Nope

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing?There is still Dialer lag, and slight KB lag in landscape. The KB lag is not as much as in 1.5 though. I'm not fond of the new camera controls, but it's minor and no big deal.

Upvote 0

a) Have you ever rooted? Yes
b) If rooted, what did you have (ROM, etc)? I used Fresh 2.1.1 and just recently upgraded to Fresh 2.1.2.

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store? N/A
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero
c) Did you have issues with the download? Nope

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? None. If any, it is not as many problems as the official sprint 2.1 update.

Upvote 0

b) If you downloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? MIRROR
c) Did you have issues with the download? NONE

Bluetooth audio streaming (Pandora, Listen, etc.) cuts out every few seconds. Did not do this 1.5.

Ringtones. The default ringtone I assigned works. Any ringtones assigned to contacts work erratically. Sometimes you get the default, sometimes you get the assigned, and from the same numbers.

Battery life is worse than 1.5.

I don't mind the vibrate on connection, but there should be a way to deselect it.

If I get too close to the mall, a "G" will appear where the "EV" is for a quick moment, and then "EV" will reappear, and I have to reboot the phone to get INTERNET service. Why the mall? I have no idea.

The phone goes to voicemail too quickly. I have heard of a fix by calling Sprint Support, but I have not done it as of this post.

Using the "back arrow" button will take me out of settings or INTERNET, but if I go to my app killer, they are still running in the background.

That's all I've discovered for now, problem wise.

Upvote 0

b) If rooted, what did you have (ROM, etc)? N/A

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store? Self
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? HTC

1) Facebook/contacts did not sync until now...even though I did the upgrade a few days ago. I am finally able to see everyone.
2) The screen is not as responsive as before. I can barely answer phone calls, select apps (without literally tapping over and over again before it launches). It takes several tries to dial a phone number from a document or webpage. With 1.5 it was instantaneous. Overall phone lag PERIOD. So whats the point if I can't use the phone?
3) Very noticeable lag when it comes to opening applications...It is very frustrating!!!!!
4) Battery life went from awesome to horrible...Even with the battery life savers I used before with 1.5 such as screen time out, backlight, turning off services that are not in use etc.
5) Why does it vibrate when I make a call? I have turned of haptic! When I dial a number and it conneects it vibrates????

Upvote 0

b) If you downloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? MIRROR
c) Did you have issues with the download? NONE

Bluetooth audio streaming (Pandora, Listen, etc.) cuts out every few seconds. Did not do this 1.5.

Ringtones. The default ringtone I assigned works. Any ringtones assigned to contacts work erratically. Sometimes you get the default, sometimes you get the assigned, and from the same numbers.

Battery life is worse than 1.5.

I don't mind the vibrate on connection, but there should be a way to deselect it.

If I get too close to the mall, a "G" will appear where the "EV" is for a quick moment, and then "EV" will reappear, and I have to reboot the phone to get INTERNET service. Why the mall? I have no idea.

The phone goes to voicemail too quickly. I have heard of a fix by calling Sprint Support, but I have not done it as of this post.

Using the "back arrow" button will take me out of settings or INTERNET, but if I go to my app killer, they are still running in the background.

That's all I've discovered for now, problem wise.

I love your signature...I want to go back to 1.5 :(

Upvote 0
To answer your first question my phone did not have the google on the back, took it to a sprint store to get the update and i had problems with the phone pretty much what everyone is posting about,I also had the REV.0 anyway they gave me a new phone with the google on the back(more like refurbish) and this reads rev.A and its working great except for the vibration on the phone dialer.

Upvote 0

b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? HTC

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? None. Ringer lag is improved over 1.5. Battery life is comparable, if not a bit better. I use Swype, but haven't experienced any keyboard lag. So far, everything is equal to or better than 1.5.

Upvote 0
1. Yes
2. Not sure what you mean by "ever rooted".
3a. Sprint store updated
3b. N/A
3c. Not the download itself, but unhappy with this newer update
4. I HATE that I get this vibration when making a call, can't turn it off. To set the settings, it seems more of a pain. Not as simple. Seems to run slower than before too. When I hang up, it seems like it takes a minute for it to end the call. Used to make a louder beep sound to let me know the call is ended.

I would rather not have done the update!

Upvote 0
Yes on back.

a) Have you ever rooted? Yes under 1.5 took it off before 2.1 install
b) If rooted, what did you have (ROM, etc)? fresh etc standard stuff

a) Did you download update yourself or got to a Sprint store? myself
b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? One of the HTC links out there, one of the first.

Phone lag, dial lag sometimes VERY bad. Phone answers slow like in 1.5. Vibrate when calling but that is ok.

From the begining the Hero has been slow, but I still love it but want it 2-3 times faster.

Upvote 0

a) Have you ever rooted? yes
b) If rooted, what did you have (ROM, etc)? Fresh 2.1.2 ROM

b) If you dowloaded the update yourself, what site did you use? Uh... I don't remember! Maybe the Sprint website or HTC's website? Hmm...

4. What issues, if any, are you experiencing? None, the keyboard lagged a little but I replaced it with Smartkeyboard Pro and everything's gone fine. No dialer lag or anything.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones