1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips For those who like to charge quickly

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Idunno, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Idunno

Idunno Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    Ice cream depleater, rhyme repeater
    SoCal
    I was just poking around on think geek and spotted this: ThinkGeek :: U-Socket USB Wallplug

You get a whopping 2.1 amps of power to charge your phone (and whatever other usb stuff you have), that's 4x USB power and 2x the wall charger. I want one.

Advertisement

2. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    PC Technician
    Richmond, VA
    Whoa. I like it.

3. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 22, 2010
    Roseville, CA
    The future. I want one too.

dcooterfrog likes this.
  4. dcooterfrog

dcooterfrog Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010

That's is what an Ipad needs.
    I have a 2 output 10 watt wall wart for when I travel

5. mightysween

mightysween Member
    None

May 5, 2011
    Wow! I don't really like the idea of haivng two always-on transformers inside my wall with no way to shut them off when not in use... not to mention the HEAT. Especially that hot summer day when I plug in two Allys below 20% battery. Seems like it would get pretty hot in there!

That being said, I am so totally getting a couple. :)

BTW, on a related note I just picked a 2.1amp charger for the car...works fantastic. 11 bucks including shipping!

Power4 USB charger

6. swc2001

swc2001 Android Expert
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Rubber Duck Salesman
    Chattanooga, TN
  7. WhyMyAlly

WhyMyAlly Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 31, 2010
    How does that affect the ally's rather cheap designed battery. I can wait and see how eveyone is doing with those high output chargers before I get one. It might also fix the battery drain plugged in while wifi tethering

8. Idunno

None

Dec 2, 2010
    SoCal
    I don't know necessarily that our Ally's battery is designed any cheaper than any other mobile battery, but I think it doesn't make much difference... when you get down to it they're all Li-Ion/Polymer.

When you charge your battery all that is doing is essentially ramming electrons into it for use at a later time. Whether this happens fast or slow could possibly have different effects, most people are of the opinion that a slower charge = a more thorough charge, and a fast charge = less thorough... meaning the battery will produce the same voltage but the capacity is affected by the charging method.

This seems logical because that's how it is with car batteries (but it is important to note that car batteries are lead-acid, not Li-Ion), people will "trickle charge" their batteries to ensure they have the longest possible lifespan between charges. I am not convinced that this how Li-Ion batteries respond to charging (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

The only possible complication I can see is the issue of heat... a slow charge is forcing electrons into the battery slower so less heat is produced, but increasing the amps and thus the charging rate you're getting the same amount of electrons in less time which means more heat. I'm sure there comes a point where the charging amps would actually damage the cells/circuitry/wires/contacts etc. but I am of the opinion that 2 amps is not going to be enough.

Where am I going with this? No I don't think it is necessarily harmful to the battery to charge it fast (within reasonable limits). Yes I do think that quick charging may decrease the lifespan of the battery over time, ie: months/years of continuous quick charging. Yes I do also think that replacement batteries are only $20 or so and having to (maybe) replace my battery once or twice a year isn't so bad... considering you can charge your phone and be on your way in a fraction of the time.

... and yes it would definitely fix the battery drain issue while tethering. Just my $.02

9. krisdezzy

krisdezzy Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    I put ice on my phone so as my phone charges it doesn't fry the battery. You guys might think this is crazy but I do it. 1 bag of ice and a tissue paper and put the tissue on the bag of ice and the phone on top of the paper and I leave it charging till my phone becomes like 45 degrees

10. brons2

brons2 Member
    None

Aug 28, 2010
    Network Administrator
    Austin, Texas
    I have nicer wall plugs than that, Leviton Decora. Unless they make a version that is visually similar, I'm not interested.

11. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    You may find this article on charging Li-Ion batteries interesting.

batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Idunno likes this.
  12. Idunno

None

Dec 2, 2010
    SoCal
    Wow thanks man, that was a good read. I had to re-read it a few times but there is a ton of good information in there that is extremely relevant to us rabid cell phone users. Cleared up some misconceptions I had too.

13. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    My pleasure. :)

Tags: