• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Force Apps to install to SD without Root!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way i did it was,

cd\
cd AndroidSDK\tools\
adb devices
adb shell
pm setInstallLocation 2

do it exactly like that including all spaces/capital letters etc to make it work.

I have done exactly the same on my HTC desire with Frayo but unfortunately still apparatus I download are installed on Internal memory and since I am running Low on space,my installations are unsuccessful.Any solution for this pl?

Upvote 0
I did everything till the step 14 in williamj1's post while doing the 15 one while typing in adb devices I got the following response

'adb' is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file

Would be really thankful if someone could tell me what to do.

Try cd android-sdk-windows/platform-tools rather than doing tools because in the new android sdk, adb is in the platform-tools folder.

Reactions: cock_e and pmoiab
Upvote 0
I seem to be having the same problem and get the same error msg.
I extracted the folder to my program files, so am in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows>

When I type the "adb devices" line (without quotes) I get the same error.

Is this due to the fact I didn't see the option to Install '
Usb Driver package' in the SDK Manager? I've already rooted my phone & installed a USB driver sdk earlier.

Any suggestions? Please help!!

Try cd android-sdk-windows/platform-tools rather than doing tools because in the new android sdk, adb is in the platform-tools folder.

Upvote 0
Attached is a screenshot of my 'Available Packages'.

Attachments

• scr.JPG
    scr.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 69
Upvote 0
I was wondering if there is a way for this to work on Android 2.1? When I enter "adb shell pm setInstallLocation" I get this message:
"H:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2
Error: unknown command 'setInstallLocation'
usage: pm
[list|path|install|uninstall]
pm list packages [-f]
pm list permission-groups
pm list permissions [-g] [-f] [-d] [-u] [GROUP]
pm list instrumentation [-f] [TARGET-PACKAGE]
pm list features
pm path PACKAGE
pm install [-l] [-r] [-t] [-i INSTALLER_PACKAGE_NAME] PATH
pm uninstall [-k] PACKAGE
pm enable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT
pm disable PACKAGE_OR_COMPONENT

The list packages command prints all packages. Options:
-f: see their associated file.

The list permission-groups command prints all known
permission groups.

The list permissions command prints all known
permissions, optionally only those in GROUP. Options:
-g: organize by group.
-f: print all information.
-s: short summary.
-d: only list dangerous permissions.
-u: list only the permissions users will see.

The list instrumentation command prints all instrumentations,
or only those that target a specified package. Options:
-f: see their associated file.

The list features command prints all features of the system.

The path command prints the path to the .apk of a package.

The install command installs a package to the system. Options:
-l: install the package with FORWARD_LOCK.
-r: reinstall an exisiting app, keeping its data.
-t: allow test .apks to be installed.
-i: specify the installer package name.

The uninstall command removes a package from the system. Options:
-k: keep the data and cache directories around.
after the package removal.

The enable and disable commands change the enabled state of a given package or component (written as"package/class")."
Any ideas to male this work on Android 2.1? I am running Windows XP SP3 and have a LG Apex with firmware 2.1

Upvote 0
I've tried every combination of drivers/tutorials that I can find. I'm running Win7 with HTC Desire 2.2. With USDeview I can see my phone and serial number there, but everytime i run "adb shell", I get the same error, "error: protocol fault (status 00 1b d0 02?!). Same error if I run adb devices. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Upvote 0
My Noob's Guide to this Process.

Ignore my last post. Successfully running most apps from my SD Card now. I think I will clarify how to do this for other users, as as helpful as the first post is - I think it misses out some key points for noobs :)

1. Download the SDK from here- Android SDK | Android Developers
  2. Extract using something like WinRar
  3. Copy the second folder into the sdk named "android-sdk-windows" to the desktop.
  4. Open the folder on the desktop and open the file, SDK Manager.exe (as no such file as setup.exe exists in the new version of the SDk)
  5. Close the command / windows command prompt window that opens
  6. Untick all options you are promted to download except ones like the manuals, and Essentially, ensure the USB driver option is selected / ticked.
  7. Let these files download
  8. Ensure on your phone, USB Debugging is on - Go to Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging and ensure its ticked / on.
  9. Download and install HTC Sync from HTC's website for your device.
  10. Connect your phone by USB and select the HTC sync option when it pops up with charge only, disk mode etc.
  11. Allow the sync to complete.
  12. Open windows command promt. Start / Run
  13. Type in (without quotations) "cmd"
  14. The following should appear. (with your user account instead of William
    2u7rrm0.jpg
15. Type in the following after the ">" at each step (without quotations,and including spaces and capital letters)

"cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\tools"
"adb devices"
"adb shell"
A $ sign should pop up
"pm setInstallLocation 2"
Another $ should pop up

And your done. Close everything, disconnect phone, turn off phone and then turn it back on again.

16. Now the phone will be set to install all apps you install onto the SD card. However, current apps on phone will mostly still be stored on the internal memory. This process doesn't move these apps for you, it adds the ability. So you must now manually move those already installed on the phone.

To do this, go to settings / applications / manage applications
Then you just click on an app, and the move to SD card box should no longer be Grey. So you must now move all the apps you want onto the SD Card.

Note: I would not advise moving apps like widgets, or anything system related. Furthermore, for example, I have the 3g watchdog app and the advanced task killer app constantly running, so it is advisable to keep apps like that on the internal memory.

Good luck. Any questions just ask. Ill check back regularly too. Hopefully, this guide is a little simpler for noobs :)

William

Thanks William. As pointed out, those who download the new sdk version will have to enter:

"cd desktop\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools"

as this is the new location for adb devices:D

Upvote 0
pls help (anybody)

got Win7 and having same problem on low memory with HTC...:(
think I've done all steps right (as written in Noob's Giude) and when I type in WinCDM "adb device"

...I get this message: "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

what went wrong?:thinking:
any suggestions, please:D

Attachments

• capture001.jpg
    capture001.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 49
Upvote 0
pls help (anybody)

got Win7 and having same problem on low memory with HTC...:(
think I've done all steps right (as written in Noob's Giude) and when I type in WinCDM "adb device"

...I get this message: "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

what went wrong?:thinking:
any suggestions, please:D

In windows, open android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop. Then go into the tools folder. Is there adb.exe in the tools folder?

If not, look for a platform-tools folder. Is there adb.exe in there?

Its in one of those 2 folders. Whichever it is in, you need to clear directory to (cd) to run adb.

If that still doesnt work, double click the adb.exe to open it. Itr will open and close again, but you're kind of telling windows that it exists.

Reactions: cock_e
Upvote 0
In windows, open android-sdk-windows folder on your desktop. Then go into the tools folder. Is there adb.exe in the tools folder?

If not, look for a platform-tools folder. Is there adb.exe in there?

Its in one of those 2 folders. Whichever it is in, you need to clear directory to (cd) to run adb.

If that still doesnt work, double click the adb.exe to open it. Itr will open and close again, but you're kind of telling windows that it exists.

Right when I thought my problems were over, I find that adb.exe in not in the tools folder, nor is it in the platform-tools folder... so I am either cursed or too stupid for this. Any help would be very much appreciated...

EDIT: adb.exe really was missing... so I reinstalled the packages from the SDK manager, basically did everything from the beginning and now it worked. yay

Upvote 0
Right when I thought my problems were over, I find that adb.exe in not in the tools folder, nor is it in the platform-tools folder... so I am either cursed or too stupid for this. Any help would be very much appreciated...

EDIT: adb.exe really was missing... so I reinstalled the packages from the SDK manager, basically did everything from the beginning and now it worked. yay

The r08 version apparently doesn't have it in? Or its missing sometimes.

I use this one for anyone else having issues:

http://dl.google.com/android/android-sdk_r06-windows.zip

Its in android-sdk-windows\tools on this version.

Upvote 0
Yes, I own them both and can confirm they can be moved to sd after this process and work just as well as before.

I actually found those two were my largest apps, at combined just over 30mb, so I was very very glad to have them moved :)

hi my bluetooth voicecalls stopped working after the last update for desire on 10.01.11. you seem very competent so wanted to ask if you knew how i can uninstall the update so i can go back to how things were? i can still stream music via bluetooth and phone and car pair instantly, but will not allow voicecalls since the update. i had no problem for past 4 months until this update! help please

Upvote 0
Guys - at stage 6 (of Williamj1's post) after opening sdk.exe, the files that are set to download on mine aren't showing any usb drivers. Just various sdk platform files for different Android OS and "Samples for sdk API..." and two files for honeycombe. Are these the right files? Don't want to fall at such an early hurdle. HTC Sync installed and ok, just confused by this step. Help please?

Upvote 0
Ok - so I eventually found the usb driver package (for anyone else, when you sun sdk.exe, click install on the next box that comes up as in JediKnut's jpg). I ran through all the rest of the instructions step by step but there's no change on my phoe. The only thing I can see that hasn't worked, is that I wasn't asked to install the new drivers. It must be something to do with this. Please, any ideas?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Upvote 0
Ok -I'm getting a little further every time. It still won't install drivers, so if I ignore that and go to the cmd prompts, whenever I type anything with "abd" in it, it says "killing the abd" which I understand is correct, but straight after this, I get a system tray pop up saying that the HTC Sync port on my device is not responding. Again I'm pretty sure this is down to the fact that the driver isn't installed. Can anyone shed light on a) why the driver isn't prompting install when I plug in my phone and/or b) how to initiate the driver update.

On a side note, when I run HTC Sync and do a sync, I don't actually select any fields to sync (basically as I don't use outlook so don't want to sync contacts, and don't want to sync anything else like music, bookmarks etc). Wouldn't have thought this was relevant but thought I'd better put everything on here just to increase chances of someone being able to help! Respond fast people! I'm getting fed up of having no storage space! :thinking:

Upvote 0
Success at last! I removed HTC Sync and just connected the phone in "Charge Only" mode. Most apps are moving, but frustratingly, two of the main offenders; Facebook and Yahoo Mail apps won't shift! Facebook is built in and is 5.5mb and Yahoo Mail is 9.2mb! Any ideas people?

One thing to note is that my widgets started to act weird as soon as I put the phone back on. I had to remove them all (which I had to do twice as it removes and then seems to still be there) and re add them.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones