• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Force Apps to install to SD without Root!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't have adb installed, isn't it easier just to install a free terminal emulator from the Market (I use one called simply "Terminal Emulator") and run the

pm setInstallLocation 2

command right on the device?

You can also make two scripts, and then use Script Manager to toggle between

pm setInstallLocation 0

and

pm setInstallLocation 2

Upvote 0
If you don't have adb installed, isn't it easier just to install a free terminal emulator from the Market (I use one called simply "Terminal Emulator") and run the

pm setInstallLocation 2

command right on the device?

You can also make two scripts, and then use Script Manager to toggle between

pm setInstallLocation 0

and

pm setInstallLocation 2

I was wrong--that doesn't work at all. I should have tried it before suggesting it, but it's the first time that something works from adb shell but not a terminal emulator. But if you try to make a script or use a terminal emulator, you don't have the right permissions.

Of course, if you have a rooted device, then you can do it from a terminal emulator by putting "su" as your first line.

Upvote 0
The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/

If you don't see this directory in your SDK,
launch the SDK and AVD Manager (execute the android tool)
and install "Android SDK Platform-tools"

Please also update your PATH environment variable to
include the platform-tools/ directory, so you can
execute adb from any location.

u can change the adb location..
latest download: The adb tool has moved to platform-tools/

Upvote 0
Guys please help me...

I have an HTC chacha and I kept on getting the low memory message when trying to install apps (I have only 17.8MB on the internal memory and I am trying to download angry bird which is 25MB).

I installed SDK and ran the commands on this thread ( cd\
cd AndroidSDK\program-tools\adb devices\adb shell\pm setInstallLocation 2) without any problems. When I restart my phone and try to download Angry birds again it still says low memory. So I guessed it was still trying to install it in the internal memory since I have more than 12GB of mem in the SD card.

I then entered the following commands:
cd AndroidSDK\program-tools\adb devices\adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

But it still didnt solved the problem. Can You please help me on that? You can even pm me if necessary. Please it's been over a week Im trying to sort this out...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am Gingerbread BTW..~

Thanks

Upvote 0
Nothing happens after step 5. The command prompt disappears and thats it.
Please help.

Just try the below steps. This is all thats needed:

You dont need to do any of that. All you need to do is below:

Just follow these exact steps. Nothing more, nothing less

1) download and install htc sync

2) download sdk and extract to C:\

• Double click the zip file once downloaded and drag the "android-sdk-windows" folder (contained within) to your C: drive
3) Connect your phone by USB

4) Open command prompt (in Windows)

• Go to Start > Run
  • Type "Cmd" and press OK

5) In the black window:

• Type "cd\android-sdk-windows\tools" and press enter (or platform-tools if you have adb in there)
  • Then Type "adb shell" and press enter
  • Then Type "pm setInstallLocation 2" and press enter

Upvote 0
Just try the below steps. This is all thats needed:

Hello all, I have a rooted Evo 4G and am running xHausx's 4.24.651.1 De-Odexed Stock Rom. I am trying to get my sd card to be the default install location for my apps and for some reason can't get it to work. I followed all the instructions thoroughly and everything seemed like it was working fine. But when I went to download an app it still downloaded to the internal memory. The only thing I noticed that was different from what the instructions say is, when it says that I will see a "$" after the commands I actually get a "#". But besides that, I don't receive any errors or anything that would lead me to believe that I'm doing something wrong. I even put in the following command "adb shell pm getInstallLocation" to see what it was and I got back "2 External". So it seems like I did the process correctly, but still can't get the apps to install to the sd card automatically. I also used a terminal emulator on the phone, and put in the commands and it also seems like I did it correctly, but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
Sometimes it just doesnt install them automatically. Can you move them manually afterwards?

Really...i thought the whole point of doing the adb process was so that the apps would download directly onto the sd card...Yes, I can move them manually...its just kind of a pain when I backup all my apps lets say and change roms and want to wipe everything, to then have to install all the apps onto the internal memory first and then move them manually. So there's nothing I can do to make them install directly onto the sd?

Upvote 0
Hi guys.

The internal memory on HTC Desire really sucks, so I thought this would be a great fix, as I seem unable to root.

I've forced apps to install to SD card successfully... however even though many say they're installed on the SD card, I believe the files are still in the internal memory. For example, say Twitter is 2MB and 'on SD card', if I uninstall it... the internal memory goes up by 2MB.

App2SD reports I have 9 apps installed to 'phone only': Adobe Flash Player, Maps, Facebook, Market, etc. yet they only add up to 48MB and I'm getting low memory warnings.

As I understand, when you move apps to the SD card, part of it stays on internal memory - is that what's taking up all the space?

Appreciate any tips.

Chris

Upvote 0
Hi guys.

The internal memory on HTC Desire really sucks, so I thought this would be a great fix, as I seem unable to root.

I've forced apps to install to SD card successfully... however even though many say they're installed on the SD card, I believe the files are still in the internal memory. For example, say Twitter is 2MB and 'on SD card', if I uninstall it... the internal memory goes up by 2MB.

App2SD reports I have 9 apps installed to 'phone only': Adobe Flash Player, Maps, Facebook, Market, etc. yet they only add up to 48MB and I'm getting low memory warnings.

As I understand, when you move apps to the SD card, part of it stays on internal memory - is that what's taking up all the space?

Appreciate any tips.

Chris

Don't bother with this. Continue with the root quest. If you read my rooting faq in my Sig, youll see matdroid is correct.

While you're in my Sig, check out the adb faq too because yes, you need this set up.

Should've come to us first ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones