• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Force Closes Driving Me crazy + FIX!!

Ok, so I have been having some decent trouble with Launcher force closes and it was driving me mad.

So, I downloaded and installed Home++ from the Market. Because this does not use the default Launcher, force close problems have disappeared.

Ok, this was the BEST thing I have done yet. I have not had ONE force close yet. The phone is even faster than it was before AND has more options for customizing. I am VERY impressed!!!

I would completely recommend this to everyone!!

BTW, if you don't like it, simply switch back to your original home page in second and you have lost nothing. It is so simple.

Let me know what you think!

I'm surprised that Home++ is faster on your phone than the stock 2.1, but I guess it doesn't need to load up all those 3-D elements of the AppTray. Home++ is a great home replacement. The developer is really on top of things and addresses anything that might come up. He continues to work on improving the UI and let me tell that there are some great things coming up through the pipe. Just FYI:

1) If you like Home++ but don't want all the fancy frills (like the Power Strip), you can download Launcher+ and it'll give you more screens like Home++ without things like the Power Strip.

2) If you really want to explore openness and customization, look up Sweeter Home. It's a new home replacement that really allows you to customize your space to your wildest imaginations.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I have been having some decent trouble with Launcher force closes and it was driving me mad.

So, I downloaded and installed Home++ from the Market. Because this does not use the default Launcher, force close problems have disappeared.

Ok, this was the BEST thing I have done yet. I have not had ONE force close yet. The phone is even faster than it was before AND has more options for customizing. I am VERY impressed!!!

I would completely recommend this to everyone!!

BTW, if you don't like it, simply switch back to your original home page in second and you have lost nothing. It is so simple.

Let me know what you think!

I'm also having force close problem lately... but don't want to change my default home screen...is there any other options??

Upvote 0
Would you mind elaborating on what the issues are with force close? I have been looking into the SDK and from what I have seen, developers can setup 'Services' to run in the background that won't be force closed (unless the system runs out of memory) - it sounds as if it is just developers not doing things the right way.

See these for more details:
Service | Android Developers
Application Fundamentals | Android Developers

Upvote 0
Would you mind elaborating on what the issues are with force close? I have been looking into the SDK and from what I have seen, developers can setup 'Services' to run in the background that won't be force closed (unless the system runs out of memory) - it sounds as if it is just developers not doing things the right way.

See these for more details:
Service | Android Developers
Application Fundamentals | Android Developers

Well, they would happen randomly, but mostly when I would do one of two things. Either long-press on the home screen anywhere. It wouldn't let me get to the point where I could even select anything to add, etc.. It would simply force-close me, then the next time, it would let me do it.

I would also get a force close sometimes when I would be on the home screen and hit the "menu" button. It would happen other times as well.

But these were the only times it would be more consistent.

Upvote 0
Well, they would happen randomly, but mostly when I would do one of two things. Either long-press on the home screen anywhere. It wouldn't let me get to the point where I could even select anything to add, etc.. It would simply force-close me, then the next time, it would let me do it.

I would also get a force close sometimes when I would be on the home screen and hit the "menu" button. It would happen other times as well.

But these were the only times it would be more consistent.

I have the exact force closes as you described....
do you know what is causing these force closes??

Upvote 0
No 3D cube. And I like this. I don't like the "slide-back" effect of the cube. I feel like the scrolling of the cube is terrible.

Instead it installs what is called a Power Strip at the bottom of the screen that follows you as you swipe from screen to screen. You can customize this to have whatever you want. I REALLY like this feature!!! It is very smart!

Try it out to see what I am saying.

Upvote 0
I have it on my phone already and love it. I just was wondering how the implementation on the N1 was and whether it kept the AppTray. I speak with the developer now and again. He's got some great ideas in the pipeline about how to handle the AppTray since as users download more and more apps, the way that it's currently organized is going to be obsolete (i.e. alphabetized collection).

Upvote 0
is there a way with home++ to have the notification bar at the top? i like it how it was and cannot figure out how to put it there. anyone? i would use home plus if it had 2 things...the original bar at the top and the support of live wallpapers. the first of the two is most important to me.

Upvote 0
If you long-press the notification icon in the power strip, it'll re-appear. The cool thing about Home++ is that you can choose to keep or hide the notification bar.

ok, got it. now can someone please tell me why home++ is better than the original or launcher+? other than the 7 screens and the continuous scrolling through them what is the differece? i like it but i also do like the live wallpapers. launcher+ seems to work well minus the continuous scrolling.

anyone have any info or oppinions?

Upvote 0
I can tell you the differences between Home++ and Launcher+. Other than what you've mentioned, the other differences are: 1) No powerstrip, 2) Within the powerstrip, you don't get the Task List, which enables you to kill certain running tasks and Bookmarks tab. You also get other options in Home++ like manual control of orientation. In other words, Home++ contains a lot of options that multiple apps and widgets would be required; it's an all-in-one.

Upvote 0
The best thing about Home++ so far is the lack of force closes for me. I also really like the Power strip. It gives me quick access to the things I need most. It also seems to me that the phone is faster.

Of course, you can't use live wallpapers, but I didn't use them anyways, as I already seem to have an issue with battery life as it is.

I don't have any experience with just launcher++, so can't comment on that.

Upvote 0
Mark, you've probably already done this. Make sure on your stock home that you don't have any widgets running. Removing those widgets will help the speed too. The dev also has an option in the menus for a "safe mode." Currently, I believe it set at "on" as default. However, if you uncheck it, it will use some experimental codes that allow the Home++ to operate faster and smoother. Just some hints and tips. Also, "User Analytics," if it's on can also affect speed.

Upvote 0
YOU MIGHT BE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME!!!
Try taking your SD card out and see what happens. Then reflash the ROM and try again...or if not able to flash then just simply try booting up. IF that is the case I might try reformatting the SD Card and moving only files you need back to it.
I kicked myself on kang o rama for not being able to find that out and could be ur problem.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones