• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Force closing applications bad? (Galaxy S)

So I got a Samsung Galaxy S, through Bell and it has 2.2 on it... it has a feature that allows me to end applications like going CTRL+ALT+DEL in windows, because it shows the battery usage so it makes me a little more concerned about that, but anyways now some apps are force closing, crashing sometimes.. is it best to not force close any apps? has anyone had the same problem for the same reason? Some apps i just cant "quit" like in windows.. any tips would be great and thanks in advance!.

Do a search for "task killers", you will find your answers. Android does just fine managing memory on its own, unlike windows. It likes to fill up the memory with applications, but they are not using any battery, just sitting there waiting to be opened. By force closing these apps, you are disrupting what android likes to do, and it will just open those apps back up again, therefore using MORE battery then if you would have just left it alone.

Upvote 0
So I got a Samsung Galaxy S, through Bell and it has 2.2 on it... it has a feature that allows me to end applications like going CTRL+ALT+DEL in windows, because it shows the battery usage so it makes me a little more concerned about that, but anyways now some apps are force closing, crashing sometimes.. is it best to not force close any apps? has anyone had the same problem for the same reason? Some apps i just cant "quit" like in windows.. any tips would be great and thanks in advance!.

An app force-closing on it's own is a different issue than you killing apps you think are running. Give this a quick read:

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

Now, the apps that force-close, do they do it all the time or just occasionally? Always the same app or random? In any event an app that continually force-closes is either in conflict with something or is poorly coded. If you could give a few more details perhaps we can get to bottom of it.

Upvote 0
An app force-closing on it's own is a different issue than you killing apps you think are running. Give this a quick read:

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them

Now, the apps that force-close, do they do it all the time or just occasionally? Always the same app or random? In any event an app that continually force-closes is either in conflict with something or is poorly coded. If you could give a few more details perhaps we can get to bottom of it.

It's happening more often compared to the beginning when I first got the phone, i didnt have as many problems with apps crashing. It's not so bad right now, ive found replacements for the apps i used to use that came with the phone. I only use the task manager if i really need to now though, but i do think its definitely a cause of the problem. Thanks for that link, if i continue to have more huge issues with apps crashing in the future ill update this thread.

Upvote 0
Hi...i am having a major issue with an app that i love playing "always" force closing....sometimes i cant get out of the app when it freezes and tells me it has to "force close" because the app stopped responding. BTW i only have this1 app and a torch app installed on my phone,i thought by deleting everything else i might have some luck,but it wasnt to be....someone please help me as this is driving me crazy.
Also,sometimes it freezes and the only way i can get out of the app so i can reboot it or make a call is to take the back off and the battery out....surely there has to be something majorly wrong !!!!
Are the Galaxy range just crap phone, or is it just a few bad ones in the bunch ????

Upvote 0
Hi...i am having a major issue with an app that i love playing "always" force closing....sometimes i cant get out of the app when it freezes and tells me it has to "force close" because the app stopped responding. BTW i only have this1 app and a torch app installed on my phone,i thought by deleting everything else i might have some luck,but it wasnt to be....someone please help me as this is driving me crazy.
Also,sometimes it freezes and the only way i can get out of the app so i can reboot it or make a call is to take the back off and the battery out....surely there has to be something majorly wrong !!!!
Are the Galaxy range just crap phone, or is it just a few bad ones in the bunch ????

Have you tried deleting the cache and data for the app? Even though resetting the data will set the apps settings to default, sometimes it can fix issues with the app.

If after resetting the cache and data, uninstalling and reinstalling does not help, you'll need to contact the app developer directly and see if they can help you.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones