1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Force display to turn off

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by DynV, Feb 3, 2020.

1. DynV

DynV Lurker

There's an app that force the display to be on, which I really don't need to keep an eye on and is just draining the battery. Is there a way to force the display to turn off? It should turn back on when I pressed the button that does that, the one just above the volume control.

Thank you kindly

update 1: s/forced/force/

Advertisement

#1 DynV, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Pressing the power button is the easiest way to turn the display off, and less effort than launching an app. So I think I must be missing something in your requirements here?

Dannydet likes this.
  3. DynV

DynV Lurker

It's at the very beginning of the OP up to the 1st comma. Pressing the button above the volume will--not--turn off the display when that app has the focus and it will not do what it's supposed to do unless it has focus. Thus I need some solution to deal with this. If the OS won't allow this, perhaps an app that force the display to turn off after X seconds so I can give the display-forced-on app the focus.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

What app are you talking about? Because I've never met one that will override the power button (which is why I didn't pick up your meaning from the first post: it's extremely unusual).

So you are asking to override this behaviour of this app, which has already overridden a system function, without taking focus from it. I can't guarantee that's possible, especially without knowledge of the app. But you could try something like Tasker, set it to reset the screen timeout interval when it detects this app is running, or to dim the screen to zero brightness. But I can't be sure which would "win".

If that doesn't work then as long as your screen brightness is set to "auto" then you could dim the screen significantly by placing the phone face down (unless this app also overrides your screen brightness setting as well).

5. DynV

DynV Lurker

The offending app is Youtube Music.

6. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Your reference to '.....the one just above the volume control.' is something of a conditional statement since the position and location of the Power and the Volume control buttons will vary widely on different models. Some are on the left side, some on the right, some on the same side but this all varies with each model. Your assumption that everyone has the same model phone as you does force anyone here to make assumptions when making any suggestions.
    Your profile indicates it's a Moto E2, is this still current info?
    As @Hadron stated, the Power button 'should' put your display to sleep. I just tried it on three different phones on hand (a Samsung, a Hauwei, and a Motorola) and each went to sleep by pressing on the Power button. But typically I just put my phone do sleep by pressing once on the fingerprint reader but that is also a conditional method as not every phone has one and for those that do it may or may not be configured to do that.

In your case though, if you do still have a Moto E2, the Power button is one of the indicated ways to put the display to sleep:
    https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/p...hone.com/0a707d1e45525d4ea00eba8930c0349a.png
    Since this isn't apparently working for you, what happens when you do press the Power button? Are you just pressing it once or holding it down? If the latter, that will prompt the shutdown and restart menu. Try just pressing it once.

Dannydet likes this.
  7. DynV

DynV Lurker

The Moto E2 is what I got. I didn't know the button name. Pressing it now work, it wouldn't before but the OS has been giving me trouble (ie: the display won't turn on when I use Google Call Phone but it used to). Thanks for suggesting this.

Pressing the power button stops the function of the app (playing music in YT Music). I'm wondering if the app checks if the focus goes off or the Power button was pressed but I think it's the latter. Is there a way for the display to turn off without pressing the power button and while the app has the focus? As I suggested later, if another app would do so without taking focus and giving a delay (ie: in 10 seconds the display will turn off, then you focus the other app). I will try Tasker soonish.

8. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Enthusiast

If listening to music from Youtube is what you want, then use MusicPipe or NewPipe to do so.

With the proper settings, both apps can play music from Youtube with the screen off, or in the background.

NewPipe and MusicPipe are both available from F-Droid.

9. DynV

DynV Lurker

Thank you for the suggestions. I spent almost 10 mins setting up the app choosing the artist I like from a large list and now play its customized list, which I assume is adjusted if I thumb up or down a tune. Although it's not required, I find that feature neat. Is either of those apps have something alike?

10. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Enthusiast

I am not sure what you mean.

NewPipe works much the same as Youtube, except that it will play in the background, pop up player, and download.

MusicPipe only plays the music on Youtube, and allows background play.

Both have no ads and are free.