• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Force gmail app to always open in the Inbox?

dremelts

Lurker
Nov 10, 2009
When I start the gmail app I would like it to ALWAYS go to the Inbox. Instead it starts with some old message displayed and I have to tap menu - Back to Inbox so I can see new messages. And it's not like it's opening the last message that I was reading either - it's some old message that's not even in the Inbox.

Is there any way to force it to ALWAYS go to the Inbox when I start the app?

Moto Droid 2.01

When I start the gmail app I would like it to ALWAYS go to the Inbox. Instead it starts with some old message displayed and I have to tap menu - Back to Inbox so I can see new messages. And it's not like it's opening the last message that I was reading either - it's some old message that's not even in the Inbox.

Is there any way to force it to ALWAYS go to the Inbox when I start the app?

Moto Droid 2.01

Yah I really hate this. It doesn't open an old message for me, but whatever came in most recent. It really needs to open to your inbox by default or give you an option to open the newest message.

I thought people said this was "fixed" in 2.01 but obviously not.

Upvote 0
...Would have been nice if some one just answered this question you guys originally presented about a month ago...

Maybe you're the first one to read the thread who actually had an answer. I don't think it has anything to do with others (not) being nice.

I usually only open my mail in response to an email notification, which always brings me to my Inbox, so I'm not familiar with the problem you're experiencing. But, have any of you tried creating a shortcut to your Inbox on your Home screen? Does it reliably do what you want?

Upvote 0
Mine always goes to the inbox whenever I open up gmail. However, I always close my gmail app after I'm done with it by pressing the back button.

From what you're describing it almost sounds like you're reading an email and then click on home to exit gmail instead of the back button. If that's the case then it makes sense to me that gmail would open at your last read email rather than the inbox. I would think that would be by design since that's the behaviour of reopening "exiting/suspending" apps, e.g., open at the last screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones