1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Force Stop Android System

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by MisterDoobs, Feb 8, 2014.

1. MisterDoobs

MisterDoobs Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2014
    Hello i have a LG G2 AT&T. Recently android system has been using about 40-50% of battery usage.

I noticed i can close android system from the running apps and also force close from apps page.

After doing so it hasnt came back on.

I have not noticed any strange behavior but i am wondering is this okay to do? If not why not? Thanks

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Android System is what runs the phone. Turning it off is basically restarting the phone.

As far as the numbers you're seeing you interpreting them wrong. It's not that Android system is using 40-40% of the power abailable in the battery, it's that, of the power being used from the battery, android system is using about half of it. If you add up ll the other numbers you'll find out that 100% is being used. That's 100% of the power that's being used is being used. You'll ALWAYS have 100% of the power that's being used being used.

It's like you spend 20% of your expenditures on gas. That doesn't mean that you spend 20% of the money you earn on gas, it means that, of all the money you spend, 20% of it is being spend on gas. It may actually be very little money or it may be almost everything you earn, but that 20% (or 40-50% in the case of the phone( has nothing to do with how much is being spent or used, just with what percentge of the total amount being spent (or used) is spend (or used) on that item.

I'd rather see my phone use 90% of 1mA/hour on Android system than I would seeing it use 50% of 250mA/hour. In the first case it's using 0.5mA/hour, in the second case, with half the percentage, it's using 125mA/hour, or 250 times as much power.

Percentage of total and total amount are totally different things.

Crashdamage and funkylogik like this.
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    ^ this!
    Something is always gona be top of the list and if you havent used the phone much, it wont be Screen so something has to be top and percentages have to add up to 100.
    Android System contains a lot of different elements.
    The best way to increase standby battery life is to prevent partial wakelocks (this is when the screen is off but the phone's cpu is still doing stuff [awake])
    You can easily see if this is happening by going to battery stats in the phone's settings and tapping the graph to see the next screen.
    Main offenders are social network sites :thumbup:

4. MisterDoobs

MisterDoobs Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2014
    Thanks for the replies guys i think i understand what your saying but my main concern/question is what does stopping android system do? Everything works fine with it off.

5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Im guessing stopping it does nothing positive but nothing negative other than wasting battery as the processes restart themselves but to be honest i dont know.
    When you tap "android system" in battery stats, i think it tells you what processes it included
    Stopping anything essential to the system is futile because android will instantly restart them

6. MisterDoobs

MisterDoobs Lurker
    None

Feb 8, 2014
    Okay well stopping it keeps it stopped it doesnt reopen and i dont see any changes. Thanks for the help anyway guess ill just leave it on.