• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forced 2.0.1 DROID UPDATE! HOWTO

You probably included the file extension (.zip) in the name; don't. Rename it to "update" and it should work fine. If ".zip" is in the name, then it won't verify.

Hmmm, i renamed to update.zip, copied to the root dir of the sd card and did the reboot magic.

Are you saying you only named it update, and had windows EXTENSIONS turned off?

Ultimately, the file needs to be named update.zip, there are windows options for this. Windows problem, probably nothing more. Check your options/tools to rename extensions.

Upvote 0
I had the same error. I had downloaded it on my Mac. It unzipped it automatically so it was a folder with all the files in it. I did it on my PC and it stayed as a zip and was able to rename and copy to the phone and it worked. Are you trying this on a Mac?

ok heres the exact error:

Install from SD Card
Finding Update package...
Installing Update package...
Verifying Update package...
E: failed to read footer from /sdcard/update.zip
(Is a directory)
E: Signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

any ideas on what I did wrong?

Upvote 0
I got the following error, however, I did upgrade, but I'm still at the old baseband version:

IMG00003-20091103-2120.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/IslesFan30/IMG00003-20091103-2120.jpg

Upvote 0
Hmmm, i renamed to update.zip, copied to the root dir of the sd card and did the reboot magic.

Ultimately, the file needs to be named update.zip, there are windows options for this. Windows problem, probably nothing more. Check your options/tools to rename extensions.

Correct...it is already a zip file so just rename it UPDATE.

Upvote 0

Turn file extensions off, and then name it "update". If file extensions is turned on, then it should warn you when you delete the actual extension, as opposed to part of the name. Easiest way is to turn off FE and then rename it.

I had the same error. I had downloaded it on my Mac. It unzipped it automatically so it was a folder with all the files in it. I did it on my PC and it stayed as a zip and was able to rename and copy to the phone and it worked. Are you trying this on a Mac?

That shouldn't matter, it has to do with file extensions, read my post above.

Upvote 0
Works almost exactly as described i.e. power on by holding the X and the power button at the same time, "not" after turning the power on. :)

Actually, this was on the first version:

Power back on with this: hold the the X key on the keypad and THEN, OR at the same TIME, next hold the power button (top right button).

I added the "same time" info just now based on your post. X then power has worked on a few so far.

Upvote 0
Turn file extensions off, and then name it "update". If file extensions is turned on, then it should warn you when you delete the actual extension, as opposed to part of the name. Easiest way is to turn off FE and then rename it.

That shouldn't matter, it has to do with file extensions, read my post above.

Good stuff about windows, basically it's gotta have a true name of update.zip on the SD, regardless of how windows sees it :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones