1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Forced 2.0.1 DROID UPDATE! HOWTO

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iamkewl, Dec 8, 2009.

1. xtremely4

xtremely4 Newbie

THANKS!!!! Worked without a glitch!!! This was done on a mac, too!;):D

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. neumannator

neumannator Well-Known Member

why is my screen going black on auto? WTF!

3. flakeparadigm

flakeparadigm Newbie

File copied over nicely and installed on the first try... after taking a few moments to actually get it into recovery mode. haha

4. asilver

asilver Well-Known Member

it's because you named the file update.zip.zip....meaning when you rename it on your computer just rename it update not update.zip because it's already downloaded in a zip file you don't need to add the file extension...I did the same thing to because the instructions said to rename it update.zip....not correct. just name it update

5. memphiskat

memphiskat Newbie

Installed and its all working fine so far except now my pdanet for Mac with Bluetooth wont work. Keep getting an error saying it has some kind of serial channel something error and I can't connect. Anyone on a Mac using pdanet over Bluetooth get it to work wit 2.01? Off topic I know but what the heck

6. ajm144k

ajm144k Well-Known Member

i really think this should be in the first post, under the section 'if you're having problems'

---make sure you don't unnecessarily add in a ".zip" to the filename. if you have file extensions showing on your computer, it should read exactly "update.zip" and if you have no file extensions showing for files it should just read "update"

this is such an easy mistake for people that are new to the whole 'flashing' process.

7. kmfdmk

kmfdmk Member

On "Auto" What?

8. neumannator

auto brightness

9. Mayze

Mayze Newbie

I can't figure out how to move my update.zip file to the root folder using astro manager. When I downloaded it went into my download folder and I can't figure out how to move it for the life of me. I read the help section on how to move a file but it's not working

10. D.V.G.M.

D.V.G.M. Lurker

I ran into the same issue with the 'signature verifcation failure'...it was osx. I downloaded from my phone with astro file manager installed and it worked like a charm.

2.0.1 Rocks!!!

11. wade_county

wade_county Newbie

hold (press) down on the file and then the actions will pop up. Android 2.0.1 Install - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

12. kmfdmk

kmfdmk Member

Just enabled Auto Brightness on my phone, it dimmed down accordingly, but didn't go black. Also just disabled it and it still worked correctly. Hate to say it, but mine's not doing it.

13. neumannator

anyone have this problem? i put it on auto brightness and when i click lock button it locks, then when i unlock it the screen never comes back on!!! stays blank!

14. jazzman09

jazzman09 Well-Known Member

Having a problem, can't get update.zip to get off the recovery mode list options.

I put it on my SD card, update.zip, then installed it in recovery made.

Setup my phone and formatted the SD card just to make sure all files were off of it and checked by hooking it up to my computer and looking.

Still when I boot into recovery mode update.zip is still an option for some reason, is it hidden somewhere or rooted in the phone now?

15. Mayze

Mayze Newbie

16. jacwashere7

jacwashere7 Member

long click that file and click "edit" then click "copy" then at the top of the Astro screen click the "Up" button (has the folde icon with the green arrow pointing up) this will put you in the SD card folder. Now hit edit on the top of the screen and click "paste"

17. stearic

stearic Well-Known Member

Ok, i read the entire thread but didn't see it asked or anything so i'll figured at asking my question. Will doing this "official" update and not rooting it still allow us to get updates OTA or will we have to manually do them for now on? I just did the update on my phone so either way i'm for doing it as it was easy to do, just would like to know. OTA would be nice in the future if i don't want to bother doing it manually.

18. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert

I could be wrong, but I think this is a standard option of that menu, hence why we had to rename the file to "update.zip"...

19. wade_county

wade_county Newbie

its not a "root update" so you are good. It's like you pushed the OTA to your phone.

20. dmodert66

dmodert66 Android Expert

Just tried it on mine and it works as intended...I would take it back to VZW...

21. Slacker20

Slacker20 Member

Not quite that problem, but something sorta similar. A few minutes after installing the update without a problem, my home screen icons and widgets just... disappeared. Restarted the phone and all was fine. Then I noticed that my screen was SUPER bright and my touch navigation buttons on the bottom (as well as the physical keyboard) wasn't lit up at all. Made sure the brightness settings hadn't been changed, and they were still set to automatic. Restarted again, and now all seems well.

I can definitely tell a difference in speed now :D

22. jmccarthy14

jmccarthy14 Well-Known Member

This is great, thanks for posting.

23. Campah

Campah Member

Sorry, but that's not the case. It is really named just "update.zip" the fine passes the verification, but fails on verifying the existing OS.

If you don't believe me, heres the ls output of my SD card.

Code (Text):
    2. adam@Daedalus/Volumes/DROID: ls
    3. 20091124091334124.pdf               download
    4. DCIM                            google_maps_navigation
    5. Droid.icns                      greed
    6. Images                          media
    7. LOST.DIR                        mnn
    8. MarkSpace                       prettyweather-googlecode-com
    9. adobe                           screenshot1258950909189.png
    10. albumthumbs                     tmp
    11. amazonmp3                   twc-cache
    12. cardiotrainer                   twidgit
    13. com.google.android.apps.listen          [COLOR="Red"]update.zip[/COLOR]
    14. data

24. wade_county

wade_county Newbie

just do it via the phone browser and not the computer... I kept having the SAME exact problems.. and just did it this way.. and it worked flawlessly. Android 2.0.1 Install - Page 2 - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

25. Campah

Campah Member

I've done it via downloading through the phone browser and renaming and moving with Astro (that was my first attempt actually), then I tried with my Mac, then I tried with my Win7 box.

Seriously, nothing will work on this phone. If I understand the error I'm getting, it really isn't the file, but the existing OS that is the cause of the problem. I would bet money that your error was different than mine.

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews