1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Forced software update

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Royce Fickling, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Royce Fickling

I am fed up with being forced to accept software updates to my Android devices. My devices are stable, so why should I be forced to accept updates that may screw up my experience?

My sense is that this done so Google or Samsung can stick even more ads in my face. Why does Google and Samsung want to anger users?

MrJavi likes this.
  2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Are you American? I ask because forcing updates is something that US carriers tend to do with their phones, but is very rare elsewhere. On most Android devices you might get annoyed by a software update notification, but at worst you can ignore it (my wife's phone has had an update pending for several years now... ;)).

There are exceptions: after the Note 7 fiasco Samsung did send out updates that would install forcibly (originally to limit the charging, then finally to shut the devices down if you hadn't complied with the recall of the phones). But apart from a few control-freaky service providers, mainly in the US, forced system updates are not the norm.

Of course if any of these are work devices managed by your IT department they may set an update policy. That would be something entirely separate from Google or Samsung.

Dannydet likes this.
  3. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

I have an older Samsung but check your settings for "system update" and look for "update automatically" and if it is checked uncheck it.

Screenshot_2020-07-10-11-36-39.png