1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Forced updates, 911 , bad timing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Alabamagirl45, Dec 15, 2020.

1. Alabamagirl45

Alabamagirl45 Lurker

Since Android forces updates and eventually you have no control over the updates I want them to know that I needed to call 911 and my phone was updating. I had no choice on it. It forced the update and my father was in cardiac arrest. I could not even call 911 because it was updating. Fix this! Oh wait u can't!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Well we can't, because Android Forums is not the whatever it is company that forced the update on your particular phone.

I've never had forced updates on any device I've had in 10 years, except battery neutering updates for a recalled Samsung Note7. However is it a US carrier version phone you've got, e.g. Verizon, because I've read about Verizon forcing updates on their own locked and customised phones.

MrJavi, Hadron and Dannydet like this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Yeah, Android doesn't force updates, but many US carriers do. If you live in the US and only buy phones through your carrier you might not realise that your situation is not normal.

In addition there is no central "android" that produces updates for your phones. Google release updates to the core OS, your phone's manufacturer adapts those to their devices (those that they choose to update), adds their own changes (and bloatware), then your carrier takes this and adds their own changes (mostly bloatware, but also the change that allows them to force updates on you), and finally the carrier pushes the update out. So even if we were the Android team we would not control what happens to your phone. You need to complain to your carrier (who will ignore you - though as you are American maybe you could threaten to sue them for what happened? ;)).

But we aren't Google either. This is a forum for android users, nothing more. So you are quire right, we can't do anything about it.

#3 Hadron, Dec 16, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Dannydet, mikedt and MrJavi like this.