1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Forcing Facebook and Maps to SD - Rooted Desire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by T.bauer, May 15, 2011.

1. T.bauer

T.bauer Lurker

Hi,

I rooted my HTC Desire and moved most of my apps to SD but unfortunately I can't seem to be able to force 2 of the biggest memory hogs to SD: Facebook and Maps.
    I read on another thread on a different forum that says to install SD move enabler, have debugging on then Root Explorer. Once those steps were done:

Go into the /system/app folder and delete the apk's.
    Also go into the /data/app folder and delete the update apk's
    Reboot into recovery and wipe the dalvik-cache.
    Reboot the phone.
    Go into the Market and redownload the removed apps.
    They should now be installed on your SD card freeing up a little bit more internal space on your phone.

The issue is that when I try to delete the apks for maps or facebook they are showing as read only and I can't delete them.
    I am unsure of what to do to get Facebook and maps moved to SD.

My Desire is rooted, I have very few applications on my phone and most of them on SD. Still I get the dreaded "Low space" warning when I reach below 15Mb of internal memory available and that is only with FB, Maps, Mail, Gmail and contacts on the phone's internal memory.

Iam getting really annoyed by this memory issue. If it wasn't for that the Desire would be a perfect phone.

Any help would be definitely appreciated,

Trevor

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

This should be in the root forum.

You can move user apps /data/app to sd using titanium backup.

System/app do not use space you may refer to as "internal storage" so It's only the updates taking space.

Since you're rooted there may be better solutions though. Have you investigated a2sd+? Have a read of the a2sd faq in my signature

3. shauny13

shauny13 Android Expert

You can change permissions to read/write with root explorer if you are s-off.

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I think that's the problem: the recipe Trevor quotes assumes you are S-Off, because you won't be able to delete system apps using Root Explorer otherwise. But much as I like the options S-off gives you, it's not something I'd recommend rushing into just to fix this - a2sd+ should be quite sufficient for this one.

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews