• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ford SYNC owners REJOICE!

Jul 26, 2010
As far as I know (and I could be wrong), almost no Verizon phone has ever allowed the Ford SYNC system to read text messages out loud which is one of the features the SYNC system boasts. For some reason Verizon has always blocked this on their phones. BUT...I received a text message on my Bionic from a friend this evening while driving and low and behold...IT SHOWED ME A NOTIFICATION ON MY DASH! I hit the "OK" button for it to read the text out loud and it worked! THANK YOU VERIZON FOR NOT BEING NAZIS ANYMORE!

Anyone else with a Ford SYNC system needs to try this to confirm I'm not alone or that it wasn't a glitch.

The bionic is working with my 2012 Focus.

The Ford Sync text messaging feature should work with any phone that has the messaging access profile (MAP) turned on for bluetooth. According to my research the bionic has the following profiles turned on:
  • Headset (HSP)
  • Handsfree (HFP)
  • Dial-up networking (DUN)
  • Object Push (OPP)
  • Human Interface Device (HID)
  • Generic Audio/Video Distribution (GAVDP)
  • Advanced Audio Distribution (A2DP)
  • Audio/Visual Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
  • Personal Area Networking Profile (PAN)
  • Audio/Video Distribution Transport Protocol (AVDTP)
  • Audio/Video Control Transport Protocol (AVCTP)
  • Phone Book Access (PBAP)
  • Message Access Profile (MAP)
My focus will read new text messages but for some reason I have to download them through the MyFord Touch phone settings. I havent been able to get them to automatically download unless I have new messages and I am just getting in my car.

Upvote 0
That is so strange how the text reading feature has worked for some, but not others. It never worked for my LG enV2 (verizon) nor my OG Droid (verizon) and all of the web searches always came up with the answer that Verizon blocked this feature on their phones so that is why I was excited to hear that it worked on my Bionic. Weird.

Upvote 0
FWIW I think it's more of a SYNC issue than a Verizon one. Mine will send and recieve texts but tell me that it failed to send the text everytime. The texts go through just fine. My Sync also fails to recognize 95% of the cd's I put in it even though I can put them into another sync equiped vehicle and they read just fine. My Ford dealer is no help they they just updated it and said they have no idea.

Upvote 0
As far as I know (and I could be wrong), almost no Verizon phone has ever allowed the Ford SYNC system to read text messages out loud which is one of the features the SYNC system boasts. For some reason Verizon has always blocked this on their phones. BUT...I received a text message on my Bionic from a friend this evening while driving and low and behold...IT SHOWED ME A NOTIFICATION ON MY DASH! I hit the "OK" button for it to read the text out loud and it worked! THANK YOU VERIZON FOR NOT BEING NAZIS ANYMORE!

Anyone else with a Ford SYNC system needs to try this to confirm I'm not alone or that it wasn't a glitch.

I have 100% of the Motorola Bionic phone and Ford Sync functions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones