• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forgot Admin Pass for my other computer...

Various tools and utilities would likely do the job (we'll leave the searching and specifics to the reader). But as with all tools, it could be used for bad. Don't do that. It would be a) dumb, and b) illegal. Recovering your own passwords is fine though, so only do that. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, 9to5cynic.

Yeah, its best to not mention certain tools and utilities--those are best left to the reader as mentioned.

Thanks for being properly circumspect, all--appreciate it!

Upvote 0
Legal and Ethical reasons

For starters ,you claim your brother has lost your password and you want the tools to help him enter the system .
Legally speaking ,it's illegal to enter any system you dont own or dont have proper authority. (depends on laws ...)
(Even if you want to enter your own system it's still borderline legal ....)
The tools to access system are borderline legal/illegal depending on the situation and the amount of authority .

Since situation and authority are key factors here ,it's not advisable to reference such tools in an open forum owned privately

Long way of saying ,Legal hassles involved :D

Asking to break into system is like asking "how to break a safe " even it is your own safe ....

Upvote 0
kinda offtopic but why cant we name tools? just for future references?

Because Lawyers have ruined what we used to know as free speech they are working their way down the list. :deal:

Those type of programs are perfectly legal for us to use on our own systems however that is where the legality stops. If I forget my password at work I cannot use that type of program at work to recover my password that is illegal and unethical. Doesn't matter if I am the only one who uses that computer or not.

Upvote 0
I don't know about you, but I find it rather easy to get confused about what password I'm using where, as many as we need these days. ;)

Several Ways to solve this

1. Make Same Password for Everything - Downside If your Password is compromised then the hacker has access to everything you have access to not the best idea in the world and is where a lot of older citizens get burned

2. Write them down next to computer - Again Downside is People with physical access have access to all your information and accounts. This includes the Guys breaking into your house.

3. You could store them in a password program - If you forget the login password to you account and have no way to get on the computer then you will be in the OP's shoes Unless you use one that also stores in the cloud then you could access through your phone but then you have to potential of having the equivalent of putting them on a post card and sending them around the world :)

4. You could also create your own secret code and encrypt them in that and leave them in the open where anyone looking at it would have no earthly clue as to wtf they were looking at.

OH BY THE WAY
Welcome To The Future :D

Upvote 0
password_strength.png

Not sure how accurate it is, but it seems relevant to this threads current path ;)
and I just love getting to visit xkcd... :rofl:

Reactions: Flumme
Upvote 0
1) Google offline windows password editor

2) For all my passwords, I use a password safe with the data file in the cloud. If I remember the password for that password safe, I have access to all my passwords. So I can make that password pretty complex, but it's the only one I have to remember, and I have access to all my 20 character, military-strength, passwords. Laptops, desktops, my phones, my passwords are easy to get to, and they're still password protected by that one strong password, which I change from time to time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones