• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

forgot lock screen password

Dave784

Aug 5, 2021
Hi All

UPDATE: I did manage to finally remember the new password so that is good news but I would still like an answer to the below just in case we forgot in future.

--------------------------

OK so stupid me I got my tablet this morning and got it all set up and stupid me I forgot what password I used when setting it up. I do have facial recognition so I do have access but was trying to change a setting on it and it required the password for the change.

Short of a factory reset is there a way for me to recover an reset the lock screen password?

Someone said enter in the wrong password 5 times and then again after the 30 second cool down it would give you a forgot password option but I don't see that on my tablet.

So what would you recommend for m to reset the password.

Thanks

Last edited:
1. Short of a factory reset is there a way for me to recover an reset the lock screen password?

2. Someone said enter in the wrong password 5 times and then again after the 30 second cool down it would give you a forgot password option but I don't see that on my tablet.
Thanks
1. nope. if you forget it, you are screwed. it is why i never use one on my tablet, and all of my phones ahave a fingerprint reader.

2. i do not believe that most devices do not have a forget password option on the lockscreen, never seen one or heard of one.
UPDATE: I did manage to finally remember the new password so that is good news but I would still like an answer to the below just in case we forgot in future.
glad you were able to remember it. write it down somewhere or make sure you remember it. otherwise you have to do a hard reset which will trip FRP(factory reset protection) in which you will need your google account info that was originally used to setup the device. so don't forget that info as well;)

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Hi All

Happy you were able to get back in. :)

--------------------------

OK so stupid me I got my tablet this morning and got it all set up and stupid me I forgot what password I used when setting it up. I do have facial recognition so I do have access but was trying to change a setting on it and it required the password for the change.

Short of a factory reset is there a way for me to recover an reset the lock screen password?

Someone said enter in the wrong password 5 times and then again after the 30 second cool down it would give you a forgot password option but I don't see that on my tablet.

So what would you recommend for m to reset the password.

Thanks

Never heard of that on any Android device, and in fact some devices have an option to securely erase all data on the device, after an incorrect password, PIN, or pattern is entered so many times, e.g. 10 incorrect attempts and time-outs.

Upvote 0
1. nope. if you forget it, you are screwed. it is why i never use one on my tablet, and all of my phones ahave a fingerprint reader.

2. i do not believe that most devices do not have a forget password option on the lockscreen, never seen one or heard of one.

glad you were able to remember it. write it down somewhere or make sure you remember it. otherwise you have to do a hard reset which will trip FRP(factory reset protection) in which you will need your google account info that was originally used to setup the device. so don't forget that info as well;)
Question then if I removed that setting how do I gain access to areas in settings that at least as of right now require a password to change things in it. Would that requirement be removed if there was no password for the lock screen??

Upvote 0
Question then if I removed that setting how do I gain access to areas in settings that at least as of right now require a password to change things in it. Would that requirement be removed if there was no password for the lock screen??
only your security should have at least a pin to change your lockscreen.....at least it is on my note 10+. i do not have anything on my galaxy tab A tablet. it is set to swipe to unlock the screen. i have no worries about security on my tablet at home. if i change my lockscreen from fingerprint to swipe on my phone, i have to enter a pin which i setup upon entering my fingerprint. i imagine it is the same on your device. i can't verify as my tab A was at 0% battery, so i'm charging it now.

Upvote 0
only your security should have at least a pin to change your lockscreen.....at least it is on my note 10+. i do not have anything on my galaxy tab A tablet. it is set to swipe to unlock the screen. i have no worries about security on my tablet at home. if i change my lockscreen from fingerprint to swipe on my phone, i have to enter a pin which i setup upon entering my fingerprint. i imagine it is the same on your device. i can't verify as my tab A was at 0% battery, so i'm charging it now.
If I set security to none will that remove all locks on the tablet as like you am at home never take it with me unless traveling and then it's locked in my luggage when out so no real worry about security so no really need to passwords and such.

Or can I remove everything except facial recognition? as for me I don't need 20 layers of security just one would suffice and facial is easiest to never forget HA HA

Upvote 0
Or can I remove everything except facial recognition? as for me I don't need 20 layers of security just one would suffice and facial is easiest to never forget HA HA
Does it allow that without at least a PIN as backup? In my experience android devices ask for a PIN as backup for fingerprints (and periodically ask you to enter the PIN to confirm your identity), and Android facial recognition is a weaker biometric than the fingerprint so it would be a strange choice to allow facial recognition without any stronger security.

(Since I've specified "android" here a couple of times I should add that iOS facial recognition also requires a PIN as backup, and asks for that occasionally as verification. But as my phone doesn't even offer facial recognition, and it's possible that Samsung do things differently, I can't verify what I'd expect for your tablet.)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Does it allow that without at least a PIN as backup? In my experience android devices ask for a PIN as backup for fingerprints (and periodically ask you to enter the PIN to confirm your identity), and Android facial recognition is a weaker biometric than the fingerprint so it would be a strange choice to allow facial recognition without any stronger security.

(Since I've specified "android" here a couple of times I should add that iOS facial recognition also requires a PIN as backup, and asks for that occasionally as verification. But as my phone doesn't even offer facial recognition, and it's possible that Samsung do things differently, I can't verify what I'd expect for your tablet.)
Not sure that's why I was asking if facial alone is possible as it did force me when I first started up to add the password before it would let me do the facial. So I am assuming it does require the stronger back up but I know sometimes there are things one just doesn't know unless he/she asks hence me asking here

Upvote 0
If I decided to turn it back on later or like when I am traveling will it have me set up the log in stuff again or will it use the last ones registered when turned on again?
password? you will need to make another one up. it could be the same, but it does not store that info for security reasons.

Reactions: Hadron and Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones