• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Forgotten Pixel 3 passcode

JakeB8

Lurker
Apr 2, 2021
Hi everyone,

We have a Google Pixel 3 that has a grid passcode set, but we have forgotten what the passcode is. From everything I have researched it there does not appear to be a simple solution to this problem. I tried to use Android Device Manager to get around it, but that actually made the problem worse. From my research it appears that the only way to get the phone back in working order is to do a factory reset. We really, really, REALLY don't want to do a factory reset. Does anyone know of another way to unlock the phone without losing all of our information?

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

We have a Google Pixel 3 that has a grid passcode set, but we have forgotten what the passcode is. From everything I have researched it there does not appear to be a simple solution to this problem. I tried to use Android Device Manager to get around it, but that actually made the problem worse. From my research it appears that the only way to get the phone back in working order is to do a factory reset. We really, really, REALLY don't want to do a factory reset. Does anyone know of another way to unlock the phone without losing all of our information?

Thank you!
unfortunately, there really is not much you can do other than do a factory reset.

and just to be sure, we are talking about the pin on your lockscreen? not sure what a "grid passcode set" is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
we are talking about the pin on your lockscreen? not sure what a "grid passcode set" is.
I think he is referring to pattern unlock
upload_2021-4-2_15-7-54.jpeg

A long shot, but: if you have USB debugging enabled & the phone is not encrypted, you could try this.
I can not vouch for this method, as I have never tried this. It's only something a quick web search turned up.
But I guess you have nothing really left to lose, right?! ^^'
That instruction is using Samsung find my phone which if it works is a pretty big security hole and most likely won't work on a Pixel device.

Upvote 0
That instruction is using Samsung find my phone which if it works is a pretty big security hole and most likely won't work on a Pixel device.
...now I'm confused...
Looks to me like it's using ADB. No mention of Samsung's "Find my mobile".
Did you look at the correct method?! I explicitly linked method #5 ...
But I agree; it would be a big security hole.
And as I said, I didn't test it. Was just meant as a last "you got nothing to lose"-option...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Nope, for me it jumper to Method 3. I'm not sure the other one would work anyway. :(
That's weird! Just checked for the third time now... jumps straight to 5 for me...
The link also correctly ends in "#5".
Maybe something with your browser?! Maybe a blocked script or something??

When it comes to the method itself, I'd say, you have to be pretty lucky to even hit the requirements (USB debug+non-encrypted).
...maybe, if Easter becomes all too boring, I'll whip out my old Sony Xperia and give this a try. Just for fun^^

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks to you who offered suggestions. Fortunately, the correct pattern was remembered and the phone is back in working order!

I understand the password/passcode/security pattern processes have to be robust, but it seems more like a deterrent to using them if regular joes like me can't use our device if the password/passcode/security pattern is forgotten. Having the only recovery option being a completely "nuclear" process (the factory reset) just isn't a good option. If only phone manufacturers could come up with a better way. (I'll keep living in my dream world, thanks!)

Upvote 0
Sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks to you who offered suggestions. Fortunately, the correct pattern was remembered and the phone is back in working order!

I understand the password/passcode/security pattern processes have to be robust, but it seems more like a deterrent to using them if regular joes like me can't use our device if the password/passcode/security pattern is forgotten. Having the only recovery option being a completely "nuclear" process (the factory reset) just isn't a good option. If only phone manufacturers could come up with a better way. (I'll keep living in my dream world, thanks!)
The problem with a "better way" is that what makes it easier for you makes it easier for the bad guys.

The priority from the start has been preventing access to data, which is why the reset is the one way past. But with Factory Reset Protection you need to remember your Google account password if you want to get back in after a reset - that was instituted to deter hardware theft (where the thief doesn't care about your data, resets the phone and sells it to someone - ensuring that a reset doesn't give you a working device is intended to put a stop to that).

When it comes to the method itself, I'd say, you have to be pretty lucky to even hit the requirements (USB debug+non-encrypted).
Especially since all phones for the last 6 years or so have been encrypted by default.
That's the trouble with old recipes: they linger in search results long after they cease to be relevant, and create false hope in those who don't know.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones