• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Format SD card?

eteyen1

Jul 5, 2010
Hi there. I've been having trouble with installing apps on my phone and after a lot of investigation, I've decided that its my SD card thats preventing me installing apps, cause when its unmounted I can install fine, but no go when it is mounted.

What I want to do now is re-format my SD card....but I dont know how to. DCan someone please give me a step by step guide to doing it. Thanks

And did that sort it out or not?
Thank you 1000 times!!!!
It did work for me, man!!!

I am new in android, come from symbian, had all kind of, but only nokia phones for 14 years now. I was trying to find out how the heck to format an external sd card with my new galaxy s2 (sGs2), after literally hours of investigation i found your comment.
I know this story sounds like i was reeaally dumb, but i realize i have my reasons.
After using nokia for so long time, it's really difficult to get along with android. That's because of the very explicit Help-information-option nokia has on their devices. Settings options are fewer, very user-friendly, even if sooo limited. In the android machines you can get lost in the huge number of options, ...
Let's just check this very case: In the settings menu of sGs2 there are 17 options, every one with multiple sub and sub-sub-options, and if you head the right path you get to "Format sd card" in blurry, Unmount sd card (to safely remove it) highlighted...
Come on, this is not a user-friendly layout, but much more a tricky mystifier, how the heck should one guess that you first have to unmount for afterwards doing the format when there it is clearly written TO SAFELY REMOVE IT ... !?!?!?!!!
Is there something like help info tutorial on the phone or can i download an app with tutorials for dummies???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones