• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Formating sd Card Question & Root

Joe Eris

Android Enthusiast
Mar 16, 2010
Riverside CA
I am selling my Eris because I just ordered a certified pre owned Incredible. My Eris curently has a 16gb sd card, and the Incredible comes with a 2gb card so of course i'm keeping the 16 gig card for the Incredible. Before I put the 16 gig card in the Incredible I want to format it. I've already backed up the things i i want to keep (music,pix,flix) to my laptop, so my 2 part question is #1 whats the best/easiest/safest way to format, via the phone or via PC? #2 when I put the new/blank 2 gig card into the rooted eris, how will this effect the root status of the Eris? will it still be rooted or no? & by the way i'm selling the Eris for $100.00 if anyone is interrested, I just wanna sell it for what i'm paying for the Incredible to make my wife happy :cool:

As to your question 1, I would rather format the card from Android rather than a PC so that Android can properly allocate the space. Though, I wonder why you want to format the card since you're merely porting it from one phone to another.

As to question 2, I'm not rooted but again I would think that a microSD card cannot affect the root status since it is merely an extension of the memory space and not part of the system kernel space onboard the phone. Anyone who knows differently, please correct my shortcomings here.

Reactions: Joe Eris
Upvote 0
I'm selling my Eris because I just ordered A certified pre owned Incredible. My Eris curently has a 16gig card and the Incredible comes with a 2gig card so of course i'm keeping the 16 gig for my Incredible. Before I install the 16 gigcard in the Incredible I want to format it. I've already backed up the things I want to keep onto my laptop, so my 2 part question is #1 what is the best/easiest/safest way to format, via PC or via phone? #2 when I install the new/blank 2gig card in the rooted Eris how will this effect it's root status? will it still be rooted or no? By the way I' selling the Eris for $100.00 for anyone interrested it's in perfect condition :D

Upvote 0
I am selling my Eris because I just ordered a certified pre owned Incredible. My Eris curently has a 16gb sd card, and the Incredible comes with a 2gb card so of course i'm keeping the 16 gig card for the Incredible. Before I put the 16 gig card in the Incredible I want to format it. I've already backed up the things i i want to keep (music,pix,flix) to my laptop, so my 2 part question is #1 whats the best/easiest/safest way to format, via the phone or via PC? #2 when I put the new/blank 2 gig card into the rooted eris, how will this effect the root status of the Eris? will it still be rooted or no? & by the way i'm selling the Eris for $100.00 if anyone is interrested, I just wanna sell it for what i'm paying for the Incredible to make my wife happy :cool:

Joe,

The contents and/or format of the /sdcard don't really matter to root unless you are using apps2sd (which requires you to have specially formatted your /sdcard, which you didn't mention, so you are probably not using a2sd). I haven't ever formatted my /sdcard on the Eris (or any other phone for that matter), but I would think that whatever is easiest for you is the best choice.

Take a look through this thread where WormDoes asks what I think are similar questions to your and has some very good (as always) answers from eu1: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/209768-will-factory-reset-wipe-unroot-my-phone.html

By the way, the link to the flashback21 URL eu1 mentions is this: [ROM][10/20/2010]FlashBack21 v1 -Return to Factory Stock - UPDATED - xda-developers (assuming you want to un-root your phone, that is).

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Upvote 0
I'd just format with the phone, honestly. It's less hassle, but it probably doesn't matter.

Root status has nothing to do with what is on the SD card at any given time. You use files on the SD card, maybe, to get root, and to flash a custom ROM, but once those are done, the SD card is just there to store files.

Upvote 0
I'd just format with the phone, honestly. It's less hassle, but it probably doesn't matter.

Root status has nothing to do with what is on the SD card at any given time. You use files on the SD card, maybe, to get root, and to flash a custom ROM, but once those are done, the SD card is just there to store files.
Thanks Doogald.

Upvote 0
I had to merge your two duplicate posts/threads, Joe, sorry; it belongs in All Things Root. ;)

Thanks for asking about me. As S.A. said I've been busy around the forums with responsibilities in several device forums now. Lately I've been trying to show up here in Eris more often, but there are things to do all over the place at times.

See your around (and you too, S.A.).

Upvote 0
I had to merge your two duplicate posts/threads, Joe, sorry; it belongs in All Things Root. ;)

Thanks for asking about me. As S.A. said I've been busy around the forums with responsibilities in several device forums now. Lately I've been trying to show up here in Eris more often, but there are things to do all over the place at times.

:D Frisco is everywhere! :p (he's watching us! :eek: -- which is most appreciated, btw!)

Upvote 0

Right on Frisco, keep up the good work! Oh and that duplicate post was an accident BTW sorry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones