1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Formatted Micro SD Card, Now it is Unrecognised

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Rakoontay, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Rakoontay

Rakoontay Lurker

I am new here. In fact, registered just to see if I could get help with this question. I couldn't really find anything that pertained to my specific issue on the internet. Thought maybe someone here could help!

I have an un-rooted LG G3, Lollipop, with a 32g Sandisk micro SD card. I had put music on it, and that was great and all, but I wanted to put even more music on it so I spent a few hours transferring more music files onto it last Sunday. Monday I found all of the new music I had just put onto it was unreadable.

So I figured I'd start over and wipe the whole thing clean. Mind you, I have photos and everything else backed up on the clouds, I don't have anything other than music on the card. So I went into settings and storage, and then "format sd card". It erased everything. yay!

Except, not yay. Now, when I plug the phone in via USB to the computer to transfer files, it doesn't recognise an SD card, just internal storage. So I went into the phone storage again and "unmount" and "format" are there but they are greyed out.

I removed the card twice now and reinstalled it, and that has not helped. I downloaded SD Insight, and all that really did was tell me the card is a Toshiba. That wasn't much help.

So now, I have formatted it, and can't get the phone to see that there is a card inside of it. Help!

Thank you so much!

2. Best Answer:
    Post #9 by AZgl1500, Feb 5, 2016 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

You bought a SanDisk card but SD Insight says it's a Toshiba? Combined with the original data corruption that might concern me a little, because there is quite an industry of "faking" sd cards. Did SD Insight say what the capacity of the card is?

That aside, my advice now would be to try it in a computer using a card reader and see whether you can reformat it there.

bkttk2, AZgl1500, tube517 and 2 others like this.
  4. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

An off chance that Ghost Partition may be able to recover the sd card. Seeing as most are formatted in standard formats. Ghost may be able to deal with it. If not I am thinking the format by your device ruined it.

Hadron likes this.
  5. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

Yea, I am wondering about "that industry" right now myself. I just ordered up a couple of new "Samsung SD" cards, and they don't have the right color on them in the photo that I bought them from.... then when I got the msg from eBay it says they are being shipped from China and to expect them in 21-28 days???

Makes me wonder if they will be any good at all when they show up..... Usually I wait until I drive into town, and buy them from a Brick and Mortar Retailer.... at least that way, "you are supposed to" only get genuine product as marked.

6. I agree you should only buy SD cards from a local big-name retailer in a sealed OEM package. That is the only way to avoid fakes. Not even Amazon is 100% safe, they slip through sometimes.

tube517 likes this.
  7. DUSKvsDAWN

DUSKvsDAWN Newbie

I must say, I've had problems with unbranded SD cards alot. But the biggest problem with formatting SD cards is that they are formatted the wrong way. They need to be formatted as FAT32 for your phone to be able to recognize them.

I must say that those people knew their SD card probably wouldn't work and were all nice to refund me. Now I've got a Samsung Card, also from China that is, but this one seems to be working just fine.

There is indeed a huge industry selling these fake SD cards. Mostly you can already recognize them by the obvious black card with no brand on it. I know I'm never getting those again, despite there were also alot of people saying they worked.

I hope this all helps :) Personally, I would advice you to get your money back and if you wanna buy another card off of eBay, ask as much information and proof as you can, to see if it is really the card you want to buy :)

AZgl1500 likes this.
  8. Rakoontay

Rakoontay Lurker

I went to Target and bought a new one, a legit Lexar brand. Don't know how good that is but it is all they had.

9. Lexar may not be the absolute best but it should be fine for your phone. Is it Class 10?
    It will certainly be a lot better than the broken/fake Samsung/Toshiba or whatever that thing is.
    Most important is that it's genuine.

KOLIO likes this.
  10. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

yeah, that is exactly what I tripped up on... got suckered in with the "low price" of 2 for 1....

then after eBay sent me the email from China, I saw that I could have bought a "real live" Samsung marked SD card for 75 cents more.... and it said "ships from Korea" which is where Samsung manufactures their cards.

11. Rakoontay

Rakoontay Lurker

Yeah I got the Sandisk off of Amazon. So it was weird when the app said it was a Toshiba. I also am never going to format another card just in case. I will just manually delete all my vids, pics, and tunes myself.

12. Leo Nicholson

Leo Nicholson Member

I just had problems getting a 64GB Sanyo EVO to read in my ZTE until I reformatted to FAT32 with guiformat.exe in my laptop. No problems after that.

13. Yes I have a LG Spirit 4G lite and I too bought a 32 GB sandisk and put music on but found that the music was inaccessible. Just think that its is Google and the Android people pushing for people to start paying monthly for Google/Android music services rather than being allowed to listen to their own music collection of CDs.

14. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Or, more likely, a problem with the LG software or whatever music player you use. There's no general problem playing music off a removable SD card with Android per se (I do this myself without problems).

Google of course don't include SD slots in Nexus devices.

El Presidente likes this.
  15. Leo Nicholson

Leo Nicholson Member

Then there is the other extreme. Ordered a $5.00 China 64GB Class 10 from an Ebay seller with a very high rating that works fine in a Lumia 640 for mp4's. Luck of the draw?

mikedt likes this.
  16. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Yeh, I buy SDs from there as well. I know about the luck of the draw, so I actually test the SD and verify it myself before handing over the cash. :thumbsupdroid:

Leo Nicholson likes this.
  17. DB_Carwell

DB_Carwell Guest

Usually if any item is grayed out on an SD card, It means that there are copies of the file remaining on the device itself. Go into your phone storage and search for those files and delete them. In most cases it's best to do this via USB connection on your PC or Laptop. After locating and removing those files that was left behind, Your SD card should work again. I faced a similar situation with a Windows Lumia 925. Those was the steps I took to rectify that problem. If you choose to go that route hit me back and let me know how it came out. If it didn't fix the issue let me know so I can share some more information about fixing SD card storage issues.