• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Former G-Nexers??

esmort

Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
Currently have the Galaxy Nexus; can not take the horrible signal & frequent signal loss in fringe areas. Giving serious consideration to Razr Maxx, because I have always had good experiences with Moto radios. For those of you that have already made the switch ... are you happy you made the switch? Are you getting stronger signals? What is your general overall opinion/comparison?

Any one else with info that might help my decision fill free to jump as well.

Thanks

Currently have the Galaxy Nexus; can not take the horrible signal & frequent signal loss in fringe areas. Giving serious consideration to Razr Maxx, because I have always had good experiences with Moto radios. For those of you that have already made the switch ... are you happy you made the switch? Are you getting stronger signals? What is your general overall opinion/comparison?

Any one else with info that might help my decision fill free to jump as well.

Thanks

Not a former G-Nexer but had a Samsung phone.

I had a Samsung Epic 4G (Galaxy S) and was frustrated with the Samsung Reception/GPS. Both are greatly improved with my Motorola Droid Rarz Maxx. The battery life, obviously, is a world of difference. The only thing I miss from Samsung is their screen when watching Netflix, Huluplus, etc.

Upvote 0
I was at a Verizon store early this week (one of the authorized resellers, not a corporate store). The owner there said that the Samsung Nexus was the worst phone they'd had to deal with in a long time, and he'd quit carrying them because of the number of returns - primarily due to radio/connectivity problems.
He said any current Motorola phone has a better radio (he's openly a fan or Motorola products). He also said that the Samsung Galaxy S3 has been a very good phone. One of his employees has one as his personal phone, and says he's never had a dropped call.

Upvote 0
Had a G-nex for a few days last December , same with the rezound and razr. I ended up choosing the razr and don't regret it for a second. My razr is the best/most reliable smartphone I have ever owned. Motorola's build quality , hardware, and radio/signal/reception are second to none.
Waiting for the "X" phone that Motorola and google are working on right now! I am predicting pure awesomeness!

Upvote 0
Had a G-nex for a few days last December , same with the rezound and razr. I ended up choosing the razr and don't regret it for a second. My razr is the best/most reliable smartphone I have ever owned. Motorola's build quality , hardware, and radio/signal/reception are second to none.
Waiting for the "X" phone that Motorola and google are working on right now! I am predicting pure awesomeness!

i'm definitely interested in the rumored "X" phone........however i'm sure VZW will find a way to mess it all up.

Upvote 0
Had a GNex for a few months right after it came out. Wanted to love it since its a Nexus, but after a while couldn't stand the continuous signal issues and poor battery life. Switched to RAZR Maxx and those sore points became strengths, couldn't be happier. Well, I guess unless it was vanilla Android too, but Motos done a good job of keeping the overlay minimalist. I would say definitely do it, having signal and battery life is the most important thing.

Upvote 0
I switched from the Gnex on Verizon to the Razr Maxx and it has been the right choice. The Gnex would drop calls, get one way muting, had terrible battery life , and crummy data connections......my Razr Maxx has none of these problems. Besides I learned that a true Nexus does not exist on Verizon

Upvote 0
Since the Gnex Jellybean update this past September, there don't seem to be any more 1-way muting or constant flipping between 3g/4g. However battery life and weak radios still and will forever continue to plague it. At least buying a tank battery helps. My next phone on my radar is that "X" phone as well. I'm very curious to see how it turns out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones