• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Former iPhone user struggling with new S8 I really want to like!

mrichardson2

Lurker
Apr 27, 2017
Help me please. I am a former Android user (HTC Evo 4G LTE) who switched to iPhone 3 years ago (iPhone 5S) and have now happily switched back with Samsung S8. It's a beautiful phone but I'm really struggling with one area that is making me think of returning it for an iPhone. I don't want to go back to the Dark Side...

I use text messaging all the time, especially voice to text. Generally, I am having these problems (sorry it's a lot):

1. The speech recognition isn't very good and frequently gets words completely wrong and even spells out words that are not words??? I speak fairly well and my iPhone worked very well with this. I can't find a way to "train" it to do better. Is it true it will learn over time just from me using it?

2. When I do the Ok Google, send a text message to...(person) it says, Text (person), sure, what's the message. Sometimes I speak a long message which it (slowly) prints on the screen. When I stop, it pauses and says, "What's the message" and then I lose what I spoke and have to start over.

3. If I try to compose a message from the Messages+ directly, I select my son or wife who I already have a conversation with. I hit the microphone on the keyboard and the blue "Tap to talk" box appears. When I tap it, it changes to Tap to pause and then goes right back 1/2 a second later to "Tap to talk" I never get a chance to talk. If I try a few times, usually by the 4th or 5th "Tap" it works.

4. Also, if I select the little round voicemail notification logo on the Always on Display screen and then swipe to open my phone, it takes me to the relevant text message but it's always at the first message in the conversation so I have to hit the down arrow every time.

5. My car had Siri Eyes Free so I could access Siri from a button on my steering wheel. I knew I would lose that feature but activating Ok Google from the AoD screen is hard since I can't feel a physical home button without taking my eyes off the road. My car won't let me send custom text messages from the voice command system. If I buy a bluetooth headset thing for my car, will I be able to access the Ok Google so I can text easier by pushing the button on the headset? I can just wear it in the car if needed.

Thanks, sorry it's so long. It's a hard transition. Wireless charging is sweet though and I appreciate all the customization I forgot Apple wouldn't let me do.

~Mike

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones