1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Former webOS - reluctant Android - user

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by UncleVanya, Dec 7, 2011.

1. UncleVanya

UncleVanya Member
    None

Dec 5, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I recently switched from a Verizon Wireless Pre Plus running webOS 1.4.5.1. My phone was running a lot of homebrew patches and I used overclocking kernels most of the time. This was my first Smartphone and I brought my wife along for the ride as well. She is a bit of a luddite but took to webOS like a fish to water.

After a while however she found she was bothered by a lack of some key apps - including Netflix. I ended up with a work iPhone and bought a used Droid 2 Global cheap off Craigslist and activated it as a Wifi only device to allow us to tinker with both.

In the end she decided that she wanted a bigger screen and that Android was good enough given that iPhones were so dang expensive and the form factor wasn't large enough for her. I found her a nice mint condition Droid X on Craigslist and she's been very happy with it. My Droid 2 Global has been a little less successful for me - the Gingerbread OTA came out within a few days of my owning the device. I find I get force closes and crashes - more frequently than I would expect - but not all the time.

Motoblur (or whatever they call it now) is on both phones which helps me to help her - but I'm starting to wonder if I should try something else on my phone.

My overall experience is that this is NOT a fast phone (despite it being 1.2ghz). It's also not a super stable phone - I had a crash day before yesterday and I can't recall going more than a few days without an OS level crash and at least once a day I have a force close issue on one app or another.

I'm considering trying Liquid ROM on my Droid 2 Global - but I'm worried this will distance me from my wife's experience and I need to help her from time to time. Thoughts are welcome but I'm not expecting a lot of chatter here about specific solutions - just wanted to intro myself.

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Hello and welcome to Android Forums!

I am not making a sweeping criticism of Motorola, but there seem to me to be a good number of dissatisfied customers who have the Droid X or Droid 2 for the exact issues you mention. You may be happier with a different rom. Why not ask the folks in Droid 2 - All Things Root - Android Forums and see which is the most stable rom currently. Don't worry about leaving your wife behind... that's what we're here for. :D

3. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Hello,

Welcome to Android Forum... Thanks for stopping by and introduce yourself. I'm a former webos enthusiast - now Android Fanboy (loving it too). ;)

I would recommend you hop on over to the forum to join the other members who are owners of this said device. I'm sure after awhile you'll get the hang of how the Android OS and your phone operates.

The issues you mentioned could be caused by an installed application, and not necessarily the phone operating system. Hopefully in time you'll acquire ways of getting the best out of your device.

I hope your time here will prove very useful. Enjoy! ;)

(Ps. I guess my phone connection took way to long before posting - I now just seen that Lunatic had posted the same link.) :)