• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Forum hyperlink format; automatic naming

PyroSporker

Android Expert
Apr 3, 2010
I know next to nothing about web development, but there is something I've been wondering for a little while. I know it is a small thing but is there a way to change the URL naming format for internal links? Possibly an idea to add to the list for a future update?

When posting a link in a thread, that leads to another thread within androidforums.com, if you place the URL and let the system automatically parse, tag, and name the link, it only provides the thread title and no identifying features. Like so:

http://androidforums.com/suggestion-box-feedback/676701-forum-hyperlink-format-automatic-naming.html

Even though we are still within the same forum walls, whenever I place a link I always try to provide some baseline info along with the thread title. Which means I manually tag and build the link info everytime. Like so:

Androidforums.com | Suggestion Box & Feedback - Forum hyperlink format; automatic naming - Post # 1

Is there possibly a way that "internal links" can be further identified by adding extra info to the automatic naming convention?
If not, it is no bother, since it is pretty easy to do manually. :)
I just think it is always nice to let people know before they click the link, where they are headed to within (or outside) the fort.
Which forum, which device, which thread, which post # (when applicable), etc.

I also know that not everyone is as detail driven as I am about manually tagging their URL's.
I can see things from other perspectives too - like maybe all that info is being left off to decrease the redundancy and eliminate extraneous info, while shortening URL's - my opinion is that some of the info may be redundant, but still helpful and possibly important for navigation.

All that being said, its good to leave both the automatic and manual hyperlink tag option, and maybe it is determined nothing necessarily needs to be changed here. But if some more info can be automatically generated with the thread name I think it would be kind of helpful for everyone? (users, guests, guides, mods; all alike)
Maybe its just me thinking outloud though...?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones