• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Found a FM modulator/charger dock for Car

I don't like the FM modulators, they are notorious for interference and bad sound quality.

For (2x) that cost you could probably find a new head unit for your car and plug it in through aux/headphone connection or even a USB hookup.

Totally much better way to go, but if budget is No. 1 concern, then stick with the modulator.

Upvote 0
I actually have a nice head unit/sound system(Rockford Fosgate), but surprisingly no aux input. I was looking for a cell phone cradle as much as a charger and transmitter; For the cost, this was worth it to me. I'm just curious if I need an adapter for the unit. The more I read, I don't think I do, since the hero has both usb-mini and 3.5mm jack, although, I'm not sure what cables the unit comes with, and/or a comprehensive "whats included" list.

Upvote 0
I got mine a few days ago for my patrol car. This is the best mount I have seen, fits hero great and this one you can turn and set any way you want. And it is the best FM modulator I have used. Paid $29.95 and no shipping cost. It is a must have if your looking for one.

Posted from HTC Hero

Upvote 0
i use the cheap rubber case from sprint and they fit this great

51aG6LOAl-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Upvote 0
I'd be interested in knowing how long the support arm is as well. I drive a stick and the lighter is behind the shifter and a bit off to the right. I saw this product on Amazon too but didn't buy it because I didn't know if it would get in the way of shifting. But if it'll fit I'd rather have a smart cradle like this than a dumb one with a suction cup and then have to hook up a different FM transmitter.

Upvote 0
Can I aks where you bought it? Amazon wants $7 shipping
they had the promo where I could pay for 3 to 5 days at $7 or 5 to 10 days for free. I chose that one.

I'd be interested in knowing how long the support arm is as well. I drive a stick and the lighter is behind the shifter and a bit off to the right. I saw this product on Amazon too but didn't buy it because I didn't know if it would get in the way of shifting. But if it'll fit I'd rather have a smart cradle like this than a dumb one with a suction cup and then have to hook up a different FM transmitter.

it is around 5 inchs long. and the base will rotate, and the shaft will bend. it comes with the 6 inch usb cable for the hero AND the 6 inch cable for the Moment (2 diff kinds of plugs) and the audio cable is built into the cradle (comes off th bottom and you wrap it up to the audio port on top of the hero)

I will try and take some pics of it in a couple of my vehicles sometime soon.

I would buy one again and might for the wifes moment if she wants one.

Upvote 0
FM modulators today.... SUCK. More so if you live in a populated city where there are a lot of radio stations. They used to be nice but the FCC put a stop to that and limited the output power. Pre-2006 the FM modulators were nice and rarely did you have to deal with interference. If you want to read more about FM Modulators and why they suck you can read "Part 15" of the FCC rules and regulations.

Your best bet is to get a "nice" head unit that has an aux input.

On another note:
Rockford Fosgate hasn't had a head unit in over 2 years, and even then it wasn't a true Rockford Fosgate Head Unit, it is just a rebadged AC Delco head unit. They did have a couple of 9000 series head units that were made by Denon, but they were only sold in Japan.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones