1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Found cool new app

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by kellynina, Mar 30, 2011.

1. kellynina

kellynina Guest
    None
    Just found a cool new app.... Gives you reminders when you are close to things your looking for.... thought i would share with everyone... search 'geoshop' for the app... don't get the name.. but its like 'remember the milk' kind of app.

Advertisement

2. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2009
    New York, USA
    "Geoshop" appears to be a play on the term "geocaching", using a GPS unit to help pinpoint an object or location specified by someone else. It's a hobby with no ultimate goal or prize, just a way to get outside and exercise.

Geographic shopping, put them together....

3. DenverRalphy

DenverRalphy Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    Something smells bad about this app.

Out of curiosity I searched for Geoshop. The result is an app who's description matches what the "1st time poster" above is talking about (like we ever fall for the 1 post wonders who just happened to have found a new app). However the app has ripped off the name "Remember the Milk".

4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Remember the milk = online to do list.

Geoshop = app that tracks you via gps and will tell if you if you are close to a store and tries to act like a GPS assisted craigs list. App has different names on different markets, korean market has it listed as Geoshop, USA market has it listed as Remind Me, less than 50 downloads Korean and 5-10 in the USA.

Sounds fishy to me and if you want an app like "Remeber the Milk" why not just download "Remember the Milk"?

5. wownelly

None

Mar 30, 2011
    checked it out and remember the milk... correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like remember the milk just gives you a task list.... seems like geoshop is different in that it tells you when you get close to something your interested in... so i guess i don't see the similarities... i do agree geoshop seems similar to gps enabled craigslist...

6. jackgibbs

jackgibbs Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 2, 2010
    long beach
  7. wownelly

None

Mar 30, 2011
    good question on the gps.... anyone? the app would be worthless i'm guessing if you did keep it on all the time... i know my battery would die right away... the little i've done with programming android my guess is they turn it on only when you travel so far...

8. DenverRalphy

None

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    Just looked it up again after reading replies, and it appears they changed the name of the app from "Remember The Milk" to "Remind Me".

The whole thing smells like somebody else's app has been stolen and put up on the market.

9. wownelly

None

Mar 30, 2011
    put on the market to sell... huh... its free..

10. DenverRalphy

None

May 1, 2010
    Aurora CO
    Even free it smells fishy.

The original poster signed up an account just to pretend to be a user who just happened to find a new app. Nobody's fooled by this tactic.

The app was originally listed on the android market as "Remember the Milk", the only difference in the name from the actual "Remember The Milk" app was that the letter 'T' is capitalized in the real RTM app, whereas the app referred to in this thread used a lower case 't' in the name of the app. The app's name mysteriously changes to Remind Me when it's noticed.

Why even initially try to rip off the Remember the Milk name? Why pretend to be somebody who just happened to find the app on the market when it's obviously the app owner (or affiliated with the app owner) pushing the app? If the app is called Geoshop, why isn't it simply put on the market under that name?

Apps that quickly demonstrate deceptions from the outset should never be trusted. There's no telling what the app is actually doing with your device.

11. wownelly

None

Mar 30, 2011
    I installed it and ran it for awhile. It seemed to do what it advertised. GPS only turns on at most every couple minutes... and that was when i was driving. standing still gps does not come on. or at least not yet.

12. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    FG
    Are there ads? I'm sure there is some way the dev is going to try to get money. Still it seems like a let us track where you go app, and there is no telling who it is sending the GPS info to.

13. wownelly

None

Mar 30, 2011
    I have not seen any.... i just followed their example and they said type in 'home depot' and as i was driving to get lunch... i drove by a 'home depot' and it popped a message... with home depots info... but who knows... their could be ads... and i just have not seen them yet...