1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips FOUND - Force the update on your phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ciper, Jun 15, 2011.

1. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    This method will force your phone to connect and look for the update. If your account has been flagged to receive it then a pop up will show on the screen within 30 seconds on LTE, or 2 minutes on 1x

You should "Unfreeze" or reinstall all of the Metro bloatware before attempting this procedure. If the update fails you will not be able to download it again. We haven't figured out which missing software causes it to fail so its safer to put it all back temporarily

[​IMG]

Get your SPC by entering the IMEI (number on the box, under about phone or behind the battery) into CheckESNFree.com : The only instant, free, online ESN Checker or by running "getprop ril.MSL" from adb shell. Save that six digit number

[​IMG]

Open the dialer and enter ##data# (##3282#)

[​IMG]

The eighth item will be labeled FOTA, open it

[​IMG]

When it asks for SPC put the six digit number you got in the first step

[​IMG]

Click on the first item labeled DM Account

[​IMG]
    Click and hold on metropcs until you see a popup box

[​IMG]

Click Start DM

The phone will return to the main screen and you will see the data indicators light up.

[​IMG]
    Leave the phone for 30 seconds (on LTE, two minutes on 1x) and if your account is ready you will get a message about the upgrade. It will automatically reboot once the counter is zero

[​IMG]
    If everything worked you will get this popup
    showing the new version number once you are back at your home screen.

Advertisement

confed likes this.
  2. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    You will receive a message after the phone reboots with the status of the update.

If it fails you will no longer be able to apply the update through official routes. This is usually caused by removing too many of the bloatware applications.

3. roddiy

roddiy Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Nah, When I discovered this on my phone, I had Full Bloatware Removed And Root.

Btw: This is much more Interactive than mine :)

imwillzillla likes this.
  4. k0nane

k0nane Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    Male
    I do stuff, with things
    I thought this was old news? :thinking:

5. roddiy

roddiy Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    WHERE?? Ive been looking up and down for how to force the update, Until I figured it out today.

6. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    I found this about a month ago and was talking to someone about it over IM the other night.

7. roddiy

roddiy Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Me?? Ive never even talked to you Ciper, most Ive done is read your post about the Hidden menus. ha. thats funny.

and If you "Talked about this"
    how come there are so many people on http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-indulge/335507-version-update.html that still dont know how to get this update? and even a thread about how you found a file for the Update date june 8th? with NO SUCCESS TO INSTALL IT ( http://androidforums.com/indulge-al...am_r910_ea29-ea29-ea17_ee07-ee07-ed15-dp.html )

Smart, but not enough. lol

8. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Because this doesnt get you the update unless you were already marked to get it. In other words the person wont get anything unless the update was waiting for them already.

The update file I had can be used to update the LTE radio but it wont get the CDMA radio properly unless we write it into an update.zip

Im trying to to damage control because you posted something without testing it with others first

9. roddiy

roddiy Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Firstly: I'd be glad to help writing the Update.zip

second: You still should've told people (EVERYONE) about this, if you really knew.

10. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    I did tell people. I had multiple people try it. Go ask in the IRC support channel if you don't believe it.

I then took the time to copy my entire account details into another persons phone and mull over the logs.

Not everything is posted on the forum because it may be potentially dangerous

11. roddiy

roddiy Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    Ive been on IRC since this afternoon, no one got on lol. and, at least now MORE people know and can thoroughly test this and at least get a few more phones updated.

I'm not gonna sit here and argue all night, I made information available to people, Im satisfied, and know that i did in fact figure it out by myself, even you said and know that this information isnt posted anywhere else.

I still feel like a boss.

12. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Went back through the logs. I started telling others to try this on 05/03/11 :)

13. roddiy

roddiy Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    I dont see any PUBLIC forum post.

14. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    The IRC is public. Ask someone else to show you the logs.
    Besides K0nane confirmed it was old news and he's got a little gold android below his name lawl

15. roddiy

roddiy Newbie
    None

Jun 15, 2011
    I can paint myself gold all day, means nothing, lol.

Not even can go back through IRC logs, shoulda just posted.

ANYWAYS, now more people know about this, so everyone gains.

16. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    The reason it wasn't posted is that if it "works" you would have gotten the update soon anyways and that it puts you into menus that are harmful to the phone if misused. Its not good to post things that may break the phone without enough benefit

17. mk_ultra19

mk_ultra19 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    It's not old news as cipher is saying... look at the other thread that has 265 replies, where everyone is trying to find out how to get the update.

Who cares if the ONLY people that can get the update are the ones scheduled to get it.

OBVIOUSLY .... they wouldn't be trying to figure out how to get it if they have already gotten it...RIGHT!!

THANKS TO RODDIY for the info!!!

jeremyc and roddiy like this.
  18. mk_ultra19

mk_ultra19 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 13, 2011
    If people know how to read... it is very simple to do!

19. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Rather than blindly tell the entire forum to do something that may damage the phone I tested this and had others test with me. I poured over logs to see what was happening. That is how I eventually found a copy of the file used during the update http://androidforums.com/indulge-al...am_r910_ea29-ea29-ea17_ee07-ee07-ed15-dp.html

Either way here is a post from may 25 showing that I already had logs from running this DM account test http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...e-has-its-imei-meid-switched.html#post2726923

Would you like a screenshot? If you dont trust me what about K0nane, the person who made the root for the phone? I can get others to verify if its really necessary.

I shared this with everyone on May third.

I was talking to someone about trying this the other night and then surprisingly this big deal shows up today.

What roddiy didnt tell you is once the update fails thats it, you can never get the update again. Your account is marked as having tried the update and there is a "FAIL" written to /data/fota/fota.status
    If you don't believe it come over to IRC and ask Silvist, he works for Metro PCS.

20. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    I guess it's a good thing I didn't try his method, then. Well, anyways, my phone updated itself just a few moments ago. Area code 407...
    Still, it's a pity that others are still there waiting.
    Is there a reason why it's not updating completely if you force it?
    You said you think it's the bloatware, but I've removed all of them from when MikesToolz first made the removal script, and only reinstalled the Office thing...
    So I don't think that's where the issue lies, unless ThinkOffice holds super update information powers for absolutely no reason at all, not being actually a Metro app per se...

If it helps, I can give a list of the programs on my phone and we could try doing a diff with other people's who failed the update and we can see if there's a difference or some other pattern to look for...
    What do you think, cipher? Worth a shot?

21. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Hmm, that might be a good idea.

What I do know is that the people who's update failed still got the radios updated but the camera application (for example) wasnt fixed to disable GPS logging.

imwillzillla likes this.
  22. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    If you know of a few people, send them my way! Or I guess I'll just pastebin the list, and we can go from there.
    By the way, do you know of a quick and easy way to pull of a list of all the apps on the phone?
    I am reading online that one can try
    adb shell pm list packages
    in a terminal, but it appears it is not complete.
    Or should I try
    adb shell ls -l /data/app/*.apk
    adb shell ls -l /data/app-private
    adb shell ls -l /system/app

instead?

Credit goes to How can I enumerate the list of apps installed on my phone? - Force Close for info above, btw... :)

23. ciper

ciper Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 31, 2011
    Well do you think we should look at packages overall or just those installed by the end user? "pm list packages" is great to list everything on the phone but this also gets the system partition which you normally cannot install an app to.
    Hmm now that I think about it that may be a good thing because it would also show what was uninstalled.

24. imwillzillla

imwillzillla Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Well I woke up this morning with the update so either Metro decided to put me on the list this morning or Roddiys method worked. Got the update but you do have to wait longer than 30 seconds apparently. I did not remove any bloatware on my phone though so maybe that's why I didn't have to do Cipers way? The plot thickens. Duh duh duhhhhhhh. Thanks both of you guys for your help though.

25. condorloco

condorloco Member
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    I don't know who figured out how to do the update but just wanted to say THANKS!!!
    I tried it and it worked on the two phones that I have.
    THANK YOU AGAIN