• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

FOUND - Force the update on your phone

I haven't had the "scheduled" update yet with full root & bloat gone...been waiting.

Strange how bloatware has increased successful "auto" OTA updates after re-installing... I'm going to try re-installing bloat one at a time to see if I get the auto OTA before I force it. Apparently the Tampa Bay Area has been pretty successful from what I've read, and it usually rolls thru around 3am-ish.

Although this makes no sense to me at all why this would work, or if it does, I think the chance of getting it the same night I re-install would be less suspicious than the past month(s) I've been waiting.

If anywhere, I have a hunch it's hiding out in the @pp Store thing I used to p/u Visual VM a lil while back. I'll post if anything happens tomorrow am.

:cool:

::EDIT::
Nothing...reinstalling the rest of the bloat and marinade over the weekend for kicks. If nothing by Monday morning I'll push it through. Not sure if there was anything to really find.

Upvote 0
I just bought the phone today, and when I bought it, it was running some crazy ROM (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It looked kinda like a WP7 device with large green squares on the homescreen, with one being "internet" which looked like the Chrome logo and it had a > up top, which took you to the applications. I'd never seen an android that looked like this. I don't know, it could have just been different homescreen, but when I took it to the metro store to get it activated, it went back to default TouchWiz. After I left the store, I did a factory reboot because I hadn't done one since buying it, and about a minute later, the update started. It got all the way to the end, and then said that the FOTA failed (or something like that). My baseband version is cdma: ....EE07 LTE: ....ED15. Did the update happen? Did it happen already? Also, on the sd card, I found gingerbreak.apk and RootUninstaller as well. Did it fail because it was rooted? How can I check to see if it is rooted? Sorry for all the questions, and the lengthy post.

Upvote 0
I just bought the phone today, and when I bought it, it was running some crazy ROM (someone correct me if I'm wrong). It looked kinda like a WP7 device with large green squares on the homescreen, with one being "internet" which looked like the Chrome logo and it had a > up top, which took you to the applications. I'd never seen an android that looked like this. I don't know, it could have just been different homescreen, but when I took it to the metro store to get it activated, it went back to default TouchWiz. After I left the store, I did a factory reboot because I hadn't done one since buying it, and about a minute later, the update started. It got all the way to the end, and then said that the FOTA failed (or something like that). My baseband version is cdma: ....EE07 LTE: ....ED15. Did the update happen? Did it happen already? Also, on the sd card, I found gingerbreak.apk and RootUninstaller as well. Did it fail because it was rooted? How can I check to see if it is rooted? Sorry for all the questions, and the lengthy post.

You must have bought the phone off someone because that is not the stock launcher.

The thing you are referring to is called Launcher 7 , it just changes the way the launcher looks and in that case it emulates the windows phone 7.

Download root checker off of the market and run the app. Also check to see if all of the Metro bloatware has been removed " check the forums for which ones " and if they are.... it's a pretty good indication the phone is rooted.

Upvote 0
You must have bought the phone off someone because that is not the stock launcher.

The thing you are referring to is called Launcher 7 , it just changes the way the launcher looks and in that case it emulates the windows phone 7.

Download root checker off of the market and run the app. Also check to see if all of the Metro bloatware has been removed " check the forums for which ones " and if they are.... it's a pretty good indication the phone is rooted.

I did buy the phone off of someone a I just ran root checker, and I don't have root, but then why would the update fail? I have the same numbers in my baseband (I believe) that an updated phone would have, but then why did it tell me that the update failed?

Upvote 0
My phone is rooted and I forced the update. I didn't see any real improvement on battery life.

I think that is due to placebo effect... or at least on my phone it hasn't enhanced battery life.

Just updated the radios and also I was able to wake my phone up by using the bottom keys like back or home, but now that stopped working lol.

Upvote 0
Sch-r910.ea29

You didnt receive the full update, the full update would show EE07 for your build number. My phone is the same way, i got the error (failed) message while receiving the update, and i have to be honest, it seems like my phone signal has been worse ever since. I never really had any issues with it b4 and now it wnt stay on 4g lng at all and it keeps FC, It sux!!! But its koo, I knw it will all be fixed soon, NO thanks 2 Sam*%^$ or Met%$#s....

Upvote 0
For those saying the battery life has improved " Greatly " with the new update.

My Indulge with a full charge lasted exactly 5 hours with moderate texting, calling and web usage.

The push notifications or searches for email were all set at the latest possible intervals, screen brightness was set at automatic.

Upvote 0

My Indulge with a full charge lasted exactly 5 hours with moderate texting, calling and web usage.

The push notifications or searches for email were all set at the latest possible intervals, screen brightness was set at automatic.

And you left LTE on.

Upvote 0
Depending on what apps you're using, it may be that you still need to use the power button to unlock the screen.I'm thinking of those task killers and power management apps.
As for battery life, I cam confirm the same thing on my phone, (i think).I haven't really properly tested it and am still using the lte kill code (lteetl with restart)...
I did see the change in the camera settings app, though. And the 4g icon does seem to reflect connectivity status with better fidelity/accuracy.

Upvote 0

My phone is now lasting about 20 hours from a full charge with the LTE ON after the update including 90-100 minutes talk time and some data usage and watching the iron man movie. This is after the update where before it phone was only lasting about 10 hours with less use. I did notice that if youre in an area where 4G is spotty the LTE radio does a lot of searching for signal and that kills the battery fast regardless.

Upvote 0
In the Bay Area 408..my phone did not updatde with force method. I unrooted and added bloatware back..then attempted the update. One thing to note is to WAIT..and better yet walk away while waiting for the update process to work..it can take a bit!! I got a text while waiting and I tell ya as soon as I erased it the update screen popped up..and it had been over 5 minutes and I was thinking of rebooting the phone..the update went thru without a hitch..a looong reboot once the update is downloaded..and I'm back to root and bloatware removed. I'm seeing the same results as AxGuy and mk..better battery and more accurate LTE..

Reactions: ciper
Upvote 0
Yes....with LTE ON...a lot of people who have gotten the update have been saying their batteries last all day with LTE active.

What's the point of having LTE if you have to constantly turn it off.

So 5 hours with 4G on, calling, texting, internet.....is better then the 3 hours...i was getting before.

Mine shuts off and comes back on its own when needed. I get 12 hours easy, more if its charged comepletly. Frankly I don't spend my time on the internet unless I need to look something up, check cnn and ogrish(on my phone atleast), but when I first got the phone and even about a month ago I was using it quite heavily, some gaming too. I still had the update then and I've noticed about a 4 hour difference. Between having wifi on all the time and having it off. It takes way more life then lte on my device or so it would seem

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones